Flying with a Guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• If the craft has a wardrobe where the crew hang their jackets, request them to store it in there when you board. Has worked most times when I have tried. There is ample space behind the coats and the cabinet door is shut through the flight. All safe. Biggest risk is if you forget to take it with you when you get off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks so much guys. Great advice all round. Anyone got some youtube video they recommend in regards to the whole neck remove reassemble? Not very knowledgeable there so any visual aid would be great. Cheers
  • It's very straight forward.  Just take the strings off and pack them carefully.  Then remove the four screws on the back plate with a proper fitting Phillips screwdriver (you won't be able to fly with this).  The neck will then come off (it may need a slight nudge/pull if it fits very snugly into the neck pocket).  Then reverse the process when reassembling.  Nothing to worry about, Fender guitars were designed with this in mind (truss rod adjustment etc.)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72487
    thebreeze said:
    It's very straight forward.  Just take the strings off and pack them carefully.  Then remove the four screws on the back plate with a proper fitting Phillips screwdriver (you won't be able to fly with this).  The neck will then come off (it may need a slight nudge/pull if it fits very snugly into the neck pocket).  Then reverse the process when reassembling.  Nothing to worry about, Fender guitars were designed with this in mind (truss rod adjustment etc.)
    Be careful to check if there's a shim in the neck pocket - especially with a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, which usually have them. If there is, either remove it and put it somewhere safe having remembered/photographed exactly where it is, or stick it to the floor of the neck pocket in the right position with something like Pritt. Even a tiny difference in position can sometimes change the action noticeably when you reassemble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• All this good advice has reminded me that my EBMM Silhouette wot I bought in 1989 was marketed with the claim that the 4+2 headstock and shorter length of the guitar meant the case would fit in the overhead locker of an aircraft. I've never tested it or tried to fly with it, though....  :)
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    doesnt taking the neck off and on mean the guitar needs to be set up again from scratch, or does it stay in good shape ?
  • mli3 said:
    doesnt taking the neck off and on mean the guitar needs to be set up again from scratch, or does it stay in good shape ?
    I think that'll depend on the individual guitar (and what you're going to be using it for).  My CV Tele goes back pretty perfectly to how it was.  It's probably a good idea to have the odd Allan key handy just in case.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Jalapeno said:
    My general rule ... only fly with a Telecaster (Squier ... but a nice one) and have it in my hold baggage ... neck off. I take one to Finland fairly regularly and have neck bolts fitted rather than neck screws ... so that fitting and removal causes less wear and tear. Teles are bloody near indestructible, so even if the baggage handlers get a bit frisky ... I doubt they could do too much to one of 'Leo's first babies'. 
    Did you do the bolt fitting or did you get it done ?

Got one of those bolt fitting kits you see on e bay ... I have a pillar drill etc in the Oil city workshop ... so it was no big deal. 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLOODSTONE-Neck-Bolt-Anchor-Kit-Guitar-Tone-Upgrade-Kit/162926902884?hash=item25ef333e64:m:mK4BmLDfngffhr6GxtGqfHA
    Cheers ! Might get a Squier to try out first ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback