Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My Grandson down the guitar shop.

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3633
edited September 2018 in Guitar
My six year old Grandson has become infatuated with guitars and, thanks to his Dad, is a massive Gary Moore fan.

He loves to get out my guitars when he comes over but they are too big for him and keep slipping all over the place although he does love the sound of an amplified electric.

His Dad is going to buy him an elecrtic guitar and amp for Christmas so we went down to the shop so he could try out a Squier Mini Strat and check for size.

It looks just right for him and he loved it!

I said I would look out to see if I could spot a mint used Mini Strat for him and he wants red!

Apparently the latest models are upgraded from the originals but I haven't a clue why, anyone know which are best?

Anyway here he is in the shop.

Anticipation....

Realisation!

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Brilliant - I wish him well with his playing career!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent... good times
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

It's great when they have that spark of enthusiasm :)

My two boys are 6 & 8, and love guitars too. Unfortunately, Isaac the Youngest has decided that Doubleneck SG's are his thing...........

Enjoy!

Adam

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He's got "the next John Mayer" written all over him, in the looks dept too - does he get that from his granddad?
  • Hi, he looks ver happy indeed. As did my son when I bought hime a red mini strat for his 6th birthday. It was of interest for about 2 weeks....
    I hope your grandson sticks at it longer than my boy!
    cheers
    Will
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Good schooling there @Neil both son and grandson appreciate the wonders of the guitar. Someone looks very happy. When my youngest was about that age I got him a cheap brand mini strat (cruiser iirc) and it was treasured for a while until he grew into drums!

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    Love this - that little lad looks so chuffed holding that guitar.

Excellent grandparenting, sir.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    thebreeze said:
    He's got "the next John Mayer" written all over him, in the looks dept too - does he get that from his granddad?
    He does look very similar to me when I was that age, hereditary I guess.

Grandchildren are great, you have a fantastic time .......and then then they go home.  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I bought my son a mini Strat at 6 years old and now he's nearly 8 and still playing it. Slowly but surely he's getting better all the time. It was a touch big for him when he first got it, but now it's perfect and looks good for another 2 or 3 years I think. I was a bit scared shelling out the £120 at the time as I had visions of him losing interest after 2 weeks, but now it seems the best deal ever. Well, nearly.

Couple of small issues we keep having with it - the B string saddle is always loosening and the jack socket is pretty flimsy and no matter how many times I sort them out it keeps recurring. No big deal though and apart from that it's ideal for him and it seems that our younger son will be wanting it as soon as it's available. :)
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    I hope when I have kids they are as interested in playing guitar.

Knowing my luck they'll be into synth and I'll end up with a house full of keys.

(who am I kidding, that would be fun too ;) )
  • terada said:

Knowing my luck they'll be into synth and I'll end up with a house full of keys.

You'll be fine unless they say "Dad, I want to learn bass..."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Great to see you supporting him so well and your encouragement will push him along the road of all things guitardom with an older wisdom.
    Just don't buy him a banjo......

I wish my parents had been so supportive but it was the 60's and guitars were spawned from the devil!! lol.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    terada said:

You'll be fine unless they say "Dad, I want to learn bass..." drums..."
    FTFY
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    terada said:

FTFY
    :D - I did think that, but I have this horrid image of kid asking dad to put the Ampeg 8x10 in the car ("ooooh me lumbago")
    impmann said:
    terada said:

FTFY
    My middle son started on guitar and then graduated to drums.  :s

He now lives in the US so I can no longer hear him although he has an electronic kit now, when he was home it was an acoustic outfit.  
    TA22GT said:
    Great to see you supporting him so well and your encouragement will push him along the road of all things guitardom with an older wisdom.
    Just don't buy him a banjo......

I wish my parents had been so supportive but it was the 60's and guitars were spawned from the devil!! lol.
    Ditto.

Plus of course even cheapo electric guitars were silly money compared to nowadays. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    I have a four (nearly five) year old granddaughter who adores all sorts of music ... she's albino bless her, with totally white hair ... so I'm trying to gently nudge her towards Mr Winter ... I could just handle building a mini Firebird for her :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very cool.
  • I do like his happy grin :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    edited September 2018
    isn't it rather Fender biased??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>