NPD: Strymon Flint

What's Hot
Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
This was interesting. I've wanted one of these for ages, as I'm a big fan of tremolo as an effect, and having a single compact pedal that did both trem and reverb, and specifically had harmonic tremolo, was really desirable.

Arrived yesterday and I compared it with the Neunaber Immerse and standalone tremolo pedal(s) I currently have.

Compared to the Neunaber, the Flint reverb algorithms seem a bit low bandwidth. Not as pristine as the Neunaber, not as clean at sitting under the unaffected tone, and the Flint adds a certain coloration and slightly honky low and mid-range feel that the Neunaber doesn't have. The Flint also feels like the reverb effect is sort of 'hyped' up (loudness wars style). The dynamic range of the Neunaber feels bigger somehow. it sounds like a studio effect, not a pedal.

Score 1 for the Neunaber.

And yet ...

The coloration and character that the Flint adds is really nice. There's something really evocative and inspiring about the tone. I was able to evoke old-school swampy sounds, and get that Motown/Muscle Shoals/60s/Ribot kind of sound, pretty easily. Which is not so easy with the combination of standalone pedals. I really like the sound.

Score 1 for the Flint.

Now I need to decide if the pristine/wet 'studio' kind of reverb feel that the Neunaber has is something I really need, and which might be meaningfully provided by a Digitech Polara or Boss RV-6 -- freeing some cash to spend on something else. Or whether I can do it all with just the Flint.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• In terms of tremolo, the difference between the Tremulus Lune/Shoot the Moon trem I have, and the two non-harmonic trems in the Flint wasn't much either way. Slightly more flexible shaping from the non-Flint pedal, but they can basically do the same thing, and I like both sounds.

Score: draw

Comparing the Flint's harmonic trem to the SurfyTrem (built from the PCB kit), I think I slightly prefer the tone of the Surfy, but, and it's a big but, the Flint has a much wider speed range, which is a problem I have with the Surfy. It really doesn't (un-modded) go as slow as I'd like. I could live with the tone of either (and like both), but the flexibility with the speed of the Flint is a big plus.

Score 1 for the Flint.
  • Cool review. Thanks. Flint is my favourite pedal ever and the one I can’t ever imagine selling. 
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    This is going to sound like a criticism, but it is meant as the opposite - my Flint seems very unremarkable. But what I mean is that I’ve found that the Flint just does what it does with very little hassle or fanfare.

I really like the harmonic trem. I think the thing I like most about it is how it gives me a lovely, subtle tremolo effect without upsetting the apple cart. With other trem pedals, I was forever adjusting this or that parameter to try to get the perfect sound. With the Flint, I just step on the pedal and it always seems to sound just right.

For me, it’s the least frustrating pedal I’ve ever owned. It just seems to sound exactly right every single time I step on it.

I guess thats an unusual review, and may not impress those who love to fiddle with their gear. But for me, the Flint has been perfect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got a flint myself and I've got to say it's everything I hoped for. In my bluesy-soul band the touch of reverb it has is lovely, adding a nice splash and the trem is great for subtle little additions compared to my old Boo effects trem which is great, but just doesn't seem ...enough (is that the best word for it)
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    I never turn my Flint off. Reverb set on 70s mode = a lovely and warm hug.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    edited September 2018
    Easy, buy a brownface for the trem and a blackface for the reverb. This way you don’t need a beard and sleeve tats to use them 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I spent a fair bit more time yesterday evening dialling in different sounds between the Immerse and the Flint. It's still much easier to dial in a sound on the Immerse that adds space and movement without dominating. I find the Flint a struggle to dial in that combination of lushness with subtlety. 

On the EQ side, the Flint is much darker, and the range of the Colour control is broader, which is good. But getting the right combination of level/depth of reverb is harder, by a long way.

On the other hand, instant 50s/60s sounds from the Flint and much more character. 
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I'm not sure if this will appear a daft question, but does it sound digital?
  • The Flint? No. Very organic. Neither pedal sounds digital in the bad sense -- fake, harsh, with artefacts, etc. The Immerse is just clearer and more pristine, and maybe a bit more lush and 'produced' sounding. The Flint a bit more swampy and warm.

I tried to compare them (quick recording of same chords with plate reverb with the mix fairly low), but listening back I didn't quite get the EQ the same (which is hard anyway, as the Immerse is just naturally brighter):

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Listening back, I prefer the recorded sound of the Flint, there.
  • I didn't like the '60's' spring reverb mode on the Flint at all. The trem modes are great, but I have harmonic trem on my main amp and I couldn't justify keeping it for two reverb types I'd hardly use. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've had slightly better reverbs than the Flint - Talisman, RV-6 - but I love how the analogue dry through retains my amp sound. I felt the Talisman certainly robbed a bit of tone. 

The tremolo side is incredible and it's so quick and easy to dial in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Fuengi said:
    I've had slightly better reverbs than the Flint - Talisman, RV-6 - but I love how the analogue dry through retains my amp sound. I felt the Talisman certainly robbed a bit of tone. 

The tremolo side is incredible and it's so quick and easy to dial in. 
    Exactly my thoughts.... I’m on my 4th Flint now. Reverbs are really good but I’ve had slightly better, but as a package it’s hard to beat  :)
  • BBBlues said:
    I never turn my Flint off. Reverb set on 70s mode = a lovely and warm hug.

I have the Flint and like @BBBlues I keep it on the 70s setting and keep the colour in check for a lovely warm reverb. I set the trem side to '63 Tube with depth and speed to match Lynyrd Skynyrd's "I need You". It's sounds just like the Princeton on the record, sounds great.

The Flint spring reverb doesn't sounds as good as the real spring tank in my Mesa Boogie though, it's a bit too clangy.

• Those last couple of comments all echo my experience so far. 
  • Gassage said:
    This way you don’t need a beard and sleeve tats to use them 
    HEY! 

tone1 said:
     I’m on my 4th Flint now.
    What have you been doing to go through 4 of them!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Usually getting an amp with Reverb or thinking there’s something better out there.... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • best reverb ever is

https://robertkeeley.com/product/Abbey+Chamber+Reverb/

for me and I've tried a few
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    edited September 2018
    Weird. I still havent found any trem or reverb that’s as good as the ones built into 60s Fender amps

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom