Number of Tremolo Springs - and the Effects Thereof

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
    edited September 2018
    Physics -  I agree wholeheartedly.  Some of the rubbish that’s bandied about as wisdom by guitarists (not here on the fretboard of course )  is really laughable.

There is a video on YouTube educating us on how to angle the tremolo claw so as to get, on pulling up the tremolo arm:

One semitone  on the first string
    Two semitones on the second string
    Three semitones on the third string

He completely ignores (or is blissfully unaware of) the fact that the tremolo block is inflexible - and that the differential range of pitch movement is automatic given the gauge and pitch of the three strings involved.

(Unfortunately), he is a brilliant guitarist... and so gets believed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    That one is a classic, yes... totally wrong unfortunately, but it's easy for someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about to perpetuate a myth like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Huge difference between regular springs and the Raw Vintage in terms if resonance through the body and acoustic tone. Less obvious plugged in at volume, as you would expect. I have swapped back and forth many times over the years. Not saying one is better than other, but unmistakeable difference.

Stability wise, using 4 raw vintage was the best for me personally, in relation to overall feel, action of trem etc. and staying in tune, with it floating.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited September 2018
    OK I’ve just googled Raw Vintage springs and and some of the claims from people who’ve tried them are hard to believe. Anybody want to try convincing me by physics?
    I’ll not try to convince of the physics - but I will say they added some much needed depth to an 59 American Vintage Reissue I used to own. Could be something to do with their resonant frequency?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    edited September 2018
    A lot say that it increases the natural reverb you get from the springs. This is understandable, as the spring constants are different and usually 3 normal springs are replaced with 5 Raw Vintage springs - so there’s 5 vibrating in there instead of 3. They seem cheap enough to warrant an experiment...