Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When you were young did you love any of your parent's records?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• My dad got the first 3 Police albums on vinyl, which I still have in my collection. He also had an Elvis Presley Sun Sessions record that I liked despite me not being much of an Elvis fan. He also really liked The The 'Infected' but I can't remember whether I bought that or he did.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    This is one of the earlist songs I fell in love with.

I would still hold that Jussi Bjoerling is the greatest lyric tenor in history.

He makes Paverotti sound like Justin Bieber.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    JezWynd said:
    Frank...

My cigarette burns me
    I wake with a start
    My fingers don't hurt
    but there's pain in my heart
     :) 

I’m playing that tomorrow in a gig. It’s gorgeous. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    From my dad: small-group jazz, mostly pianists such as Oscar Peterson, Erroll Garner, and Ahmad Jamal.

From my mum: Broadway musicals of the era, e.g. My Fair Lady, Camelot, West Side Story, South Pacific, The King And I.  Also singers Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, and Ella Fitzgerald.  She would put a stack of these on while she did the ironing, and sing along with them, usually miles out of tune.  She was a hopeless singer - she knew when to go up, and when to go down, but not by how much...

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Oh how could I forget... The Who.

My mum's copy of Tommy (that she queued to buy when it first came out) is treasured too - but Quadraphenia means more to me as an album. IMHO, it the ultimate Who album (Who's Next is awesome but lacks the cohesive narrative of Quadraphenia). It also showcases all of them at their peak - Moons drumming is off the scale (bonkers, but perfect - the choruses of Can You See The Real Me are just drum rolls... but nothing else would sound as edgy, powerful or exciting), Daltrey's portrayal of the songs are his finest works (Love Reign O'er Me... ultimate rock vocal performance? Its up there for me), Entwhistle was given so much free reign with his bass and horn playing and Townsend's guitar work is his best, without any question plus his songwriting was pretty much at its Zenith. Plus its the best *SOUNDING* Who album of all time, IMHO - I think part of that is the use of Ramport Studios (all the albums recorded there have *that* sound), and its such a shame its now a Doctor's surgery...

Sorry... I went off on one... but it stands.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    Guy Mitchell
    Frankie Vaughn
    Glenn Miller
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    impmann said:

My mum's copy of Tommy (that she queued to buy when it first came out) is treasured too - but Quadraphenia means more to me as an album. IMHO, it the ultimate Who album (Who's Next is awesome but lacks the cohesive narrative of Quadraphenia). It also showcases all of them at their peak - Moons drumming is off the scale (bonkers, but perfect - the choruses of Can You See The Real Me are just drum rolls... but nothing else would sound as edgy, powerful or exciting), Daltrey's portrayal of the songs are his finest works (Love Reign O'er Me... ultimate rock vocal performance? Its up there for me), Entwhistle was given so much free reign with his bass and horn playing and Townsend's guitar work is his best, without any question plus his songwriting was pretty much at its Zenith. Plus its the best *SOUNDING* Who album of all time, IMHO - I think part of that is the use of Ramport Studios (all the albums recorded there have *that* sound), and its such a shame its now a Doctor's surgery...

Completely agree, although I still think Who's Next has their three best songs. (You know which they are :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yep. They weren't really into their music, but I did enjoy some of their vinyl.

7"
    Lipstick On Your Collar
    Rawhide
    December. 1963

LP
    British Gold - Hey Joe, Resurrection Shuffle, Something In The Air
    Rolling Stones "greatest" compilation
    Kinks compilation
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
  • ICBM said:
    impmann said:

Completely agree, although I still think Who's Next has their three best songs. (You know which they are :).)
    Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes & Won't Get Fooled Again?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything by Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode and Bowie. Then more mod stuff like The Jam/Weller. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Beach Boys  Do it again.
     Roy Orbison  Leah  and the best B side ever  Indian Wedding.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    hmmmm, I partly grew up in a biker house until about 11 surrounded by AC/DC, Hawkwind and The Cramps being cranked out at all hours. It may have an influence