Fender Tele?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Difficult to say. Neck looks legit for a 2004 Mexican according to the serial#. Body colour does look right for that era too.
    Something about the upper bout/neck pocket area is bugging me but it could just be the angles.

Bridge is string through and been swapped if a 2004 Standard - it would have shipped with a flat 6 saddle modern bridge.
    Big old crack on the bass side of the neck pocket - most likely just the finish but I'd want to be sure.

Neck needs reseating - high e is almost off the fretboard at the dusty end.
    As it's collection in person you'll be able to check it all out before handing over any cash so may be worth a punt.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    It's not a top loading bridge, it's through body.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    It's a Standard Series Tele in Blue Agave, with a couple of mods. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3514
    I would say the saddles have a lot to do with the string being over the edge, look at the way they have been adjusted!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14498
    edited September 2018
    Simple neck shift correction task. (I did exactly this yesterday on an MIM Telecaster Deluxe.) Slacken off neck anchor screws slightly. Yank neck across towards the low E string. Check that string alignment is acceptable. Retighten screws.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I reckon that if you fix those saddles a neck adjustment wont be needed.
  • Thanks all ,it maybe the person selling it has never set it up properly but my 2007 doesn't have that bridge
    it looks all over the place on the strings so needs sorting, may have a go but would stop at £150..
  • Looking at the photographs again, I just noticed that there is what looks like a star washer visible on the edge of the bridge position pickup.

Some modern Telecasters have graphite paint and a soldering lug in the pickup cavity as part of the screening BUT there is no reason whatsoever for a star washer to be in there. I conclude that bridge mod was performed by somebody who does not claim to know much about guitars.

IMO, a battered Mexican Fender has gigging potential. £250 might be a fairer price. It will then need some attention and some money spending to get the best from it. 

robgilmo said:
    I reckon that, if you fix those saddles, a neck adjustment won't be needed.
    The six saddle bridge segments tend to get dragged about somewhat by string tension. Having the height adjustment grub screws set on the cock does nothing to reduce this. 

Look at the seller's third photograph. There is a gap between the edges of the neck and the pocket. (Space for several Rizla papers!) Worse, the gap appears to widen towards the bridge. With the pickguard unscrewed, the neck has a chance of coming into correct alignment. 

If the evidence before your eyes does not convince you, perhaps, having @ICBM or @SteveRobinson ;post the exact same opinion would make it acceptable? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Looking at the photographs again, I just noticed that there is what looks like a star washer visible on the edge of the bridge position pickup.

Some modern Telecasters have graphite paint and a soldering lug in the pickup cavity as part of the screening BUT there is no reason whatsoever for a star washer to be in there. I conclude that bridge mod was performed by somebody who does not claim to know much about guitars.
    Modern Tele pickups with no baseplate on the bottom have a 'star hole' grounding tag on one of the pickup height screws, between the rubber 'spring' and the bridgeplate. (Which sometimes doesn't make a good contact with the bridgeplate, but that's another story...) This hasn't been put back in the right place when either the pickup or the bridge has been changed.

And that bridge is wrong for the guitar - it should be a modern flat one with 'strat type' saddles... the guitar would have looked like this originally:

https://cdn8.bigcommerce.com/s-dks6ju/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/6930/64212/2__62749.1431620602.JPG

So yes, the bridge has been changed by someone incompetent.

I think the alignment problem is cause by the saddles being slightly narrower than the originals, not the neck joint - notice how it gets worse as you go across the neck from high E to low E, with the gap between the E and A strings being the narrowest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It may well have vintage frets as well at that age, I quite like them but they are not to everyones taste.