TV Jones in a Duesenberg?

What's Hot
So, I got my lovely Duesenberg Paloma and love just about everything about it....

except...

the pickups are just so high output and are not really inspiring me, so I had a thought...TV JONES was it! Thinking maybe some Filtrons would work to get a nice clean articulate sound but can be ragged when pushed? Anyone tried this before or changed pickups in their Duesy's before?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Filters are nice and you'd get even better value for money with the Mojo, Oil City or Jess Louriero pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hmmm....I might have a look at those. I think the Duesy's have a weird pickup ring though
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @horsehead I’m about to list the original pickups out of the 97 Duo Jet I’ve just sold. If you’re interested give me a shout 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    edited September 2018
    I’m guessing you mean the bridge pickup only? I’ve got the same one in my Caribou and, much like all the Filter family, it’s veey sensitive to height adjustments. 

I like mine up veey close to the strings where it’s getting quite brittle and very rude. It’s not so great for playing at home but sythes through a noisy band mix beautifully. 

Lowered down it becomes much rounder and a little more mellow. It’s quite a lotmore like a filtertron in many ways than most buckers. 
  • @dazzajl I've tried adjusting the pickups but still no luck, they just come across as brittle. Messaged you @Anchorboy but I don't know if they will fit
    I think there’s a lot of similarities between the Paloma style Doooozy and the Gretsch Jets, so if you can make the Filter work, I reckon it will
    sound great. 

I’ll be watching with great interest as the main sticking point for getting a Paloma is how close it would be sound wise to the Caribou. This would be a beautiful solution :)
  • I think filtertrons are better through a cranked up Marshall than they are clean. I may be on my own with that though
    They obviously aren’t noise free but get a near perfect Malcolm Young sound.

I think filtertrons are better through a cranked up Marshall than they are clean. I may be on my own with that though
    They obviously aren’t noise free but get a near perfect Malcolm Young sound.

You’re not alone in thinking more Malcolm when you think of Gretsch and Filters than Chet. 

• gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited September 2018
    I have TV Jones classics in a one of my guitars. They really are exceptional
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    I always prefer Gretsch...........I find the TV Jones a bit too bright and can be brittle in the bridge
  • I now know why people were confused, I've been saying it's a paloma and it's actually a Caribou....sometimes I talk shit
  • I've previously had a tv jones classic plus in m much missed La Cabronita 'lil bitch and it was an amazing sounding pickup 
  • TV Jones Classic Plus is my all time favourite bridge pickup. 
    Have you ever actually played a Gretsch Jet @horsehead ;

Mine was very similar to my Caribou. Admittedly the Dooozy is the better built guitar and the hardware is that bit superior on the engineering and design front too. But a proper Jet is really something and once you put a pair of Filters in yours, that kind of where you’ll be. 

Perhaps a swap might be better for you??
  • Swap the pickups you mean?
    Actually I meant swap the Caribou for a Jet. 
  • Ahhhhhhh....nope. love the caribou
    horsehead said:
    Ahhhhhhh....nope. love the caribou
    Very much preaching to the choir there. I adore mine in every way. But if you put a pair of Filters in it, you’ll basically have an Art Deco Jet 

Which actually sounds really cool. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Always loved the gretsch sound and filterons. I love the idea of an Art Deco Jet.....I'm thinking mojo version of the classic+ at bridge and something to compliment it at the neck...another P90?