electro harmonix 44 magnum with a modeller?

What's Hot
I'm considering using one with a Pod HD500X

Has anyone used one with such?
Any experiences/reliability issues etc?
Are they loud?

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Used one for over a year with a AMT preamp. Plenty loud enough to play in a 5 piece rock covers band without being mic’d   people have reported reliability issues, but mine was fine.

also, they sound good just as an amp
  • Are they Solid State?? 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Are they Solid State?? 
    Yes
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Are they Solid State?? 
    Yes
    I didn't think 44 watts would be loud enough for solid state to compete with acoustic drums... 
    My trading feedback

You’ll me amazed at how loud they are. Plenty loud enough to get over a drummer
  • Better than a crate power block?
    My trading feedback

Better than a crate power block?
    Much better, they sound shit, the magnum sounds really good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    John_A said:
    Both most likely unrepairable if they blow up - which they do - but the Magnum at least sounds OK first...

The Crate is the second worst sounding amp I've ever heard, only beaten (I think - it's close) by the Orange Micro Terror. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

As I’ve said in other threads, mine never missed a beat and Thomann gets you a 3 year guarantee 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    John_A said:
    Both most likely unrepairable if they blow up - which they do - but the Magnum at least sounds OK first...

The Crate is the second worst sounding amp I've ever heard, only beaten (I think - it's close) by the Orange Micro Terror. 
    All subjective of course
    My trading feedback

• ICBM said:
    John_A said:

All subjective of course

Maybe the Crate is subjective but I think the Micro Terror is objectively bad. 
  • any alternative suggestions?
    My trading feedback

• newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I`ve had both the crate and the EXH 44 - still carry the 44 as my backup - it is def loud enough to keep up with our rock band, and sounds surprisingly good with a couple of drive pedals into it. I`ve had no reliability issues personally.

The Crate didn`t do a properly clean sound as gig levels I found.

The DV Mark stuff looks good - the Eric Gales head would be just about perfect I would have thought, but substantially more expensive. For the same price you could easily have 2 EHX 44s to run your modeller in stereo, and have a backup if ever one stopped working.
  • I like the compactness and simplicity of the EXH 44.
    My trading feedback

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    edited September 2018
    newi123 said:

The Crate didn`t do a properly clean sound as gig levels I found.
    What I really detest about it is the nasty grainy, grating tone of the sound, at any volume. The Orange is the same - a really fatiguing, overbearing harshness - both of them literally make my ears itch.

I like the compactness and simplicity of the EXH 44.
    And even better, it's small and cheap enough that you can actually carry *two* as backup for each other as newi123 said. The chances of both, or both power supplies (which seem to be one of the known problems) failing at the same time is microscopic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    edited September 2018
    Might have to consider the Mooer Baby Bomb 30W or Quilter Micro Block....
    My trading feedback