Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Its official.. Metallica dont care any more

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    prowla said:
    Tenebrous said:
    I see your Metallica & I raise you some Yngwie.

Good grief - if i ever say I'm thinking of going to see him, someone please give me a slap!
    I don't know if that's typical of his recent shows, but he seems to spend a lot of time just pissing about.  He sings now, too, which is not a good thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Tenebrous said:
    Rabs said:
    Tenebrous said:

Nothing new there..  A million notes and none of them mean a thing... I get bored after about ten seconds of that sort of perpetuous widdle.
    But before he used to hit the notes & have a reasonably competent band. Now? He's like a parody act. It's like Elvis in the 70s.

*Ducks and hides*

Yeah.. compared to what we saw with Kirk, while it bores me at least Yngwie shows skill and is way beyond anything I could ever hope to achieve..  What Kirk did showed nothing but crapness....  I think my first college band sounded better than that, and that's saying something as we were awful  :)
  • prowla said:
    Tenebrous said:

Good grief - if i ever say I'm thinking of going to see him, someone please give me a slap!
    Surely going to see him is enough punishment? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Tenebrous said:
    Rabs said:
    Tenebrous said:

Nothing new there..  A million notes and none of them mean a thing... I get bored after about ten seconds of that sort of perpetuous widdle.
    But before he used to hit the notes & have a reasonably competent band. Now? He's like a parody act. It's like Elvis in the 70s.

*Ducks and hides*
    Sure, but later on in that video he plays perfectly competent versions of I'll See the Light Tonight and Far Beyond the Sun. I mean, he should since he's been playing that stuff for the last 30+ years. Also, there are others who can play it better than him, but he can still do it for what it's worth.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    Kirk is the Les Dawson of the Guitar, Shit now and always will be imho, one of the worst Professional Guitar Players it has ever been my misfortune to hear 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4842
    edited September 2018
    Wish I was that shit with $200 million in the bank though........ Seriously though, Kirk prior to The Black Album was a decent live guitarist but an amazing recorded artist, it's the same with Lars, he is awful in drumming terms but obviously with the magic of studios both sound epic. After the Black Album, both kinda backed off the gas and subsequently their live performances suffer a lot. Also Kirks "solos" on the last 2 albums have been appalling, I would agree with you there. You're not telling me though that his solo work on Master is shit, or the end solo in Fade To Black or the one on Creeping Death are, or the amazing solos on AJFA? His solos on the Black Album are also decent, he is not Marty Friedman but he's clearly not shit either.

As for the stuff they've been doing above, its cringeworthy absolutely..... 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4142
    edited September 2018
    I don't know how he does it, but Kirk often sounds out of tune with himself when only playing single notes.

I thought his black album solos were good (but James' two were better - Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters) but then if you watch the making of documentary you see how much work and pressure Kirk had to be put under to deliver those.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4842
    edited September 2018
    Kirk played the solo in Unforgiven? Theres a big section in the documentary on it? I agree James' solo on Nothing is great too like.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Boromedic said:
    Kirk played the solo in Unforgiven? Theres a big section in the documentary on it? I agree James' solo on Nothing is great too like.
    Yes you're right. Kirk did play Unforgiven solo, my bad.

• I don't know how he does it, but Kirk often sounds out of tune with himself when only playing single notes.
    His technique means often he's not fretting straight on, so note to note he's pulling the string sharp in different amounts each time... that's why the intervals sound out with themselves.

You can see it in the slow mo towards the end of this video

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yeah technical metal is delicate to play
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    Yeah technical metal is delicate to play
    This got lol'ed but it should prob have been wis'd. Really technical stuff often requires better technique (certainly better than I have) and that necessitates a lighter touch. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ