Hughes and Kettner Black Spirit 200

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Well, I ended up buying one.
    I've only spent a few hours with it but so far I think it's brilliant.
    The clean and lead channels in particular are incredible. Crunch and ultra are great too but a bit harder to dial in - IMO - but that's probably also because they're less my type of sounds.
    I need to spend much more time with it, I'm yet to explore the presets and preset management apps.
    The included boost with a different voicing per channel is awesome.
    I bought the FSM foot-switch too which I think is a must to take full advantage of the amp.

Negative points : the push buttons feel a bit flimsy and the buzzing sounds when turning off and on ( and intermittently after being turned off ? ) are not confidence inspiring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Having now gone through the presets ( from the remote control iPad app ), I have to say this amp sounds insane.
    I’m still not sure about the ultra channel, maybe I’m not the target audience, and I haven’t spent much time with it.
    But the three others simply make the best tones I’ve played out of an amp at any volume, all while playing at bedroom levels ( through FRFR with the red box out ).
    The embedded impulse responses are great.
    I couldn’t stop playing it.

I saw seen some comments before along the lines of “H&K have trouble selling their tube amps why would any one buy an expensive solid state amp from them” - talk about missing the point !
    I’ve never gotten better sounds of any tube amps I’ve played or possessed, including some older H&K amps, and this has the added ability to sound the same at any volume.
    Add to that the midi preset recall and very useable effects and I think it’s hard to beat.

Compared with amp sims, to me also sounds and feels better than all those I’ve tried,
    ( which includes Helix as well as most software ones but not the axe fx iii ).

I do worry about the longevity of the iPad app, they should open source the protocol really.
    But it’s just an added convenience rather than
    something essential.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom