NGD- Stratocaster

What's Hot
I've fancied trying a Stratocaster for a while & decided to sell a couple of other guitars to fund one. 
This appeared locally & despite not having actually sold my other guitars, I pulled the trigger. 
https://imgur.com/a/342qB8U

It's a MIM Standard Stratocaster in Lake Placid Blue. In almost mint condition- no marks on it & plastic still on scratchplate etc.

I'm amazed at how easy it is to play. It sounds great & the satin neck is lovely. 
I'm not normally a fan of maple boards, but think it looks awesome. 

It lacks a trem arm, so I need one of those. I might upgrade the block if someone can remind me of the name of the guy who makes them & sells on eBay. 
I need to mod it so the bridge is connected to a tone pot, but doubt that's a big job. 

The only downside is that MrsLostSon isn't very impressed at the violation of the "one in, one out" rule... So, who wants to buy my Epiphone Century?! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Callahan?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    Nice colour - looks a lovely guitar, congrats
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • That looks awesome! One of my fave colours for a Strat. You playing it through the Yamaha in the pic?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a similar one but in candy apple red, they are really lovely guitars. Hope you enjoy it!
  • Vinylfan said:
    That looks awesome! One of my fave colours for a Strat. You playing it through the Yamaha in the pic?
    Yup. That’s my home amp, it seems to suit single coils especially well & the strat sounds really good through it. 
    I’d always thought Strats were boring, but playing it is effortless. 
  • Vinylfan said:
    That looks awesome! One of my fave colours for a Strat. You playing it through the Yamaha in the pic?
    Yup. That’s my home amp, it seems to suit single coils especially well & the strat sounds really good through it. 
    I'm kinda with you on Strats there. Never really been my kinda guitar, but I can't remember ever picking one up & finding it anything other than a joy to play.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9735
    Enjoy.

(I put a stuck a set of Oil CityStone Tones and a Callaham sustain block into mine. Turned an already good guitar into an even better one.)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    Trem blocks by Kevin Hurley are excellent, at least as good as Callahan and way less expensive! 

kevinh66@hotmail.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlin said:
    Trem blocks by Kevin Hurley are excellent, at least as good as Callahan and way less expensive! 

kevinh66@hotmail.co.uk
    THAT'S the one. Thanks! I'll give him a message, I've heard great things about the effect a new block can have. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice! I've got the tele equivalent, brilliant guitars after changing out the ceramic pickups
  • Thanks for the tip about the trem blocks contact, been looking for that for ages given Callaham stock seems difficult to obtain
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Beautiful colour, a guitarist in the band at a wedding I attended earlier in the year had one and it looked amazing.
  • bluenile said:
    Nice! I've got the tele equivalent, brilliant guitars after changing out the ceramic pickups
    Yup.
    There are a couple of strat pickup sets in the classifieds that appeal-Oil City StoneTones and Mojo Fat 50s. As soon as I have some cash I think I’ll invest, not that the stock ones sound “bad” they’re just a little weak. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4196
    The pickups in Mex Strats are their biggest weakpoint but they are so easy to replace that its never an issue. One very good way to do it is to build a new loaded scratch plate, upgraded Pots Caps  etc and just drop it in 
  • Vinylfan said:
    Same here - the Strat and the THR seem to like each other...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My American PRO came with Tim Shaw designed V-Types. 
    I swapped them out for SD stacked humbuckers because I wanted hum cancelling pickups, not because they weren't any good.

I sold the entire loaded plate on here (Minus the 5 way switch if I remember correctly) for £70.
    Ok I sold them cheap because I wanted to help a friend and fellow forum member out so I wanted them sold ASAP but even so, I couldn't have got more than £120 for them at top dollar.

If you see those Shaw designed pickups for around £100 I'd say they're a very good buy and will really wake up a Mex Strat.

HNGD.
  • If you need a trem arm give me a shout. I take them out of mine and never use them.
    I'm a Grade 4 bedroom guitarist, never played live, who seems to think he needs 5 guitars.