Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I need some Mental Help!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I need some advice no matter how much its going to hurt. I think I already no the answer but think I need to be told.

About three months ago I purchased a PRS CE24, its lovely the tones are amazing, the quality is outstanding I cant say enough good things about it, so I'm happy that I paid £1900 for it. However, a Scottish friend of mine (who lives in the middle of nowhere) asked if I could sell his MIM Fender Stratocaster 60's player in sonic blue, it has dings and scuffs all over and wanted a "collection only" so the buyer could see the true state of the guitar. He only wanted £300.

So, I take the guitar home and of course I plug it in and well.....I haven't put it down and now transferred my friend £300, as she is an amazing guitar to play.

I problem is this, I have a £2000 guitar which I love but just sits there while I play this beat up Strat. It bugs me because I feel I should play it because of the price I paid. I don't want to sell it because of two reasons, one I love the PRS (not that I play it, now) and secondly I would loose loads of money on it. 

So has anyone else been in this situation that can help my mental issues?

Dan

I heard a quote from Michael Britt who said ‘Keep the ones you love and sell the ones you like’ if you don’t love the Silver Sky then I would let her go!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Necrothread! :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Most advise you to keep both and I'd echo that. I've  sold guitars I thought I didn't need, only to live to regret it :) 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited October 2021
    I have two guitars, one is a nice Gibson SG Standard and the other is a cheap and cheerful parts strat made up of an ancient Squier neck with worn frets and the body from my first ever "Jim Harley" electric which I stripped and oiled years ago. The most expensive part on it is probably the Hipshot tuners I put on a few years ago when the neck was on a Telemaster build. I always reach for the strat first though, even though the SG is "nicer" and more premium in feel I'm just really enjoying the strat these days. Actually going to start using the strat as my main guitar in my original band as the scale length is better suited to drop C without needing huge strings. I do feel a bit weird about leaving a much nicer guitar at home, but if it works it works.
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    There is an equation you can use to determine how many guitars you need, it works every time-

ideal number of guitars = the number you already own + 1
  • I didn't read the entirety of the thread; however, my first thought is this:

At least you are playing. If the cheaper guitar is what's keeping you going, where is the wrong...

But, if you must reconcile it in your mind, I would say its a good time to start going back and forth between the two during practices. If they bring different nuances to different pieces of music, and you can see a boon in being able to use their separate voices, esp. when recording, then there you go.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    I guess after 3 years Dan has made his mind up.  ;)