Ornate P90 alternatives

57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
edited September 2018 in Guitar
saw these on a FBook page and think they are rather nice...

Was little info but seemingly from a company called Ganee but looks like HB and P90 options

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10651
    tFB Trader
    Like those :-) OTT but in the right guitar ... nice.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The humbucker one is oversize - initially I thought it must replace the entire pickup surround but, looking again, the mounting holes suggest a 'dual P90' arrangement.

Have you ever come across such an arrangement? How well would it work?
    tFB Trader
    The humbucker one is oversize - initially I thought it must replace the entire pickup surround but, looking again, the mounting holes suggest a 'dual P90' arrangement.

Have you ever come across such an arrangement? How well would it work?
    Be a 'bucking big humbucker!' I'd have thought It'd sound a bit muddy ... as, if you actually used two P90 coils side by side and connected in series ... you'd be talking nearly 16k, on short, squat bobbins ... reading a heck of a long string length. A PAF was Gibson's answer to a humbucking P90 ... they split the P90's wire load over two bobbins, allowing the bobbins to sit closer together and read less string length than two P90 bobbins. 
    Having said that ... that 'cover' doesn't look wide enough for two full width P90 bobbins, so maybe the made a halfway house ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Is the top of each pickup metal or just plastic, decorated to resemble metal?

If it is metal, you would have to wonder whether it would have a detrimental effect on how the P90 sounds.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    Is the top of each pickup metal or just plastic, decorated to resemble metal?

If it is metal, you would have to wonder whether it would have a detrimental effect on how the P90 sounds.
    I'd hope it was engraved and sprayed/patina finished plastic (or wood) otherwise the flux ain't going to like it :-)