Gibson Les Paul Heritage 80

What's Hot
Great to see the debate about the Gibson Les Paul Heritage 80. I am speaking from my 31 years experience of owning & playing these wonderful guitars.
Firstly, they are an important part of Gibson history with all the mojo to match, everyone of them that I've owned & played has been very similar, tone & playability wise, they are outstanding guitars.
I will never part with mine now I've pretty much played every other electric guitar out there.
I have recently come to the conclusion that why have a copy when you can have the real thing, after all Gibson never claimed they were a reissue or a copy , they were only based on a 59 Les Paul, incorporating all the best bits & adding enhancing features.
Yes Tim Shaw was called in to recreate a 59 humbucker & what an excellent job he did, buts that about as far as it all went copy wise.
Finally, I consider them to be a must for any Les Paul fan, they are already collectable & worth every penny.
Hope I haven't offended anyone but I can only speak from my experience.  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    What debate? Why should I be offended? Who are you talking to? Where am I?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    I recall selling them when they came out - At the time an LP Std was around £400 and a Heritage Std 80 about £600 - all sold quickly - After all, they had a superior build quality to many 70's models we had seen, with 59 style features including a nice figured top, yet not a 59 replica as we now know today - That £200 increase actually represented a 50% increase back in 1980 - The demand for such a guitar proved to Gibson a market existed for a 59 based instrument and sometime later we saw the launch of the R9 models etc

Since 1980 prices have risen and they have generally sold well - I do question prices now in excess of 4k, but if selling then who am I to argue - Ignoring the current trend of R8's at £2499, the Std 80's biggest competitor is a used R8/R9, certainly to a player - To certain collectors they will have more appeal than a new regular LP Std, but personally when I see them at 3K and 4K I'd rather own/play a good R8/R9

We are forgetting they are now nearly 40 years old, so in the eyes of certain members this puts them firmly in the vintage category

I think the Shaw p/ups were a vast improvement on what we had at the time - They are collectable to some - Yet many more makers are now in the market place, be it Monty, OX4 etc and IMO they are a vast improvement
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited September 2018
    Blueberry56 has had a ‘mare here 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I sold a Gold Top H80 to Dan Hawkins of The Darkness a few years ago, extremely rare guitar, really wish I'd never sold it now but at the time he made me a great offer & I needed the money, he recorded an album with it. Rated them very highly, just as I do. Own one & use it is my advice, you'll fall in love with it & it won't lose value.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 851
    All the ones I’ve played were very heavy and dead acoustically. They made great rock guitars though.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, they are on the heavy side but I can't say I've experienced the 'dead acoustically' thing, not as acoustic compared to a Strat or hollow body yes. A great reason to keep it plugged in though, I'll tell the wife!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I looked at one but I didn't get the horn.

• koss59 said:
    All the ones I’ve played were very heavy and dead acoustically. They made great rock guitars though.
    Same here - the one I had was much heavier than ‘real’ vintage LPs, or more modern reissues.

At the time they were produced, they were the best new LP you could buy. By modern standards they’re closer to a Norlin Les Paul Standard than a vintage guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2416

I will never part with mine now I've pretty much played every other electric guitar out there.

What are your thoughts on the Marlin Sidewinder then?  ;)
  • Skipped said:
    I looked at one but I didn't get the horn.
    I definitely got the horn over this one. I love this guy's playing as well.

:3 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • And I thought this was a platform for musicians to help out others with their experience, instead SOME are using it as a means to start childish arguments, not real musicians it seems. 
    Not for me any longer but I hope my comments have been useful.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2416
    Chill out dude. It’s just innocent banter. We’re a good bunch on here. Honest  :)
  • koss59 said:
    Same here - the one I had was much heavier than ‘real’ vintage LPs, or more modern reissues.

At the time they were produced, they were the best new LP you could buy. By modern standards they’re closer to a Norlin Les Paul Standard than a vintage guitar.
    Maybe the best that Gibson were making. But those guys in Hamamatsu were arguably beating Gibson at their own game in 1980
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    koss59 said:

Maybe the best that Gibson were making. But those guys in Hamamatsu were arguably beating Gibson at their own game in 1980
    No question
  • richardhomer said:
    No idea as I’ve never played one - the point I was making is the Heritage Standard 80 wasn’t ‘that’ good.
  • I remember seeing one advertised for £1200 in Loot (?) when I was 18 or so (2006) - twigged that it might have been a good deal at the time but didn't have as much disposable cash in those days! Always regretted not buying it.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5633
    edited September 2018
    And I thought this was a platform for musicians to help out others with their experience, instead SOME are using it as a means to start childish arguments, not real musicians it seems. 
    Not for me any longer but I hope my comments have been useful.
    Because real musicians never have childish arguments. ;)