Anyone compared the Matrix GT amps to toobs?

What's Hot
rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
Looking at power amps for Helix. I'm basically a boogie guy and it's coming down to a 20/20 or a 290. But, the Matrix amps keep shouting at me saying pick me. Weight benefits aside, I'm more interested in the tone. Anyone had one and compared? 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    I can’t vouch for the Helix, but I used one with a Kemper and it was superb. I had the single rack GT1000FX.. 

I sold it to purchase a Marshall 50/50 EL34 as I wanted to try something else with the Kemper. The Marshall lasted a week and I found another Matrix and bought it..

I’m not familiar with the Boogie Power Amps either having never owned or played one..

I did find the Matrix allowed better results with the direct profiles I used going into a 4/12 cab. 

Hope that helps.

Darren
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited September 2018
    Yes. I have a GT1000FX 1U and a Mesa 2:90.

If weight is no issue then the Mesa is my preference for tone. Just a more dynamic feeling and punchy low end. Really easy to get that cabinet thump with the Mesa - the Matrix will do it too if you can dial in the preamp for it, but it’s stiffer both in feel and tone. If you’re a Mesa guy (I am) then I think you’d prefer the 2:90.

Either is louder and with more headroom than anyone would feasibly need. The Matrix still sounds cool and has other advantages... but purely on tone it’s Mesa for me. I haven’t tried a 20/20 but I tend to prefer larger wattages in general 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8753
    @paulmapp8306 will have a view on this
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Did a comparison a couple of weeks ago using my friend's Axe FX II, his Matrix GT1000FX 2u and my Fryette Power Station. The differences at gig level volumes (we were in a rehearsal studio) were less obvious than I thought they'd be.

The PS was perhaps a little warmer sounding with a touch more push at the bottom end but in a band mix, you would never notice.
  • @rossyamaha , how many guitar shows have we been at and you haven't tried my Axe-FX II and Matrix GT1500-FXBD?  It's great gear.  I use it into 2xFRFR and sometimes I use it into a 4x12.  Sometimes I use it into all three cabs for a wet/dry/wet rig.

PM me if you want to give it a try sometime.