Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wave guitar build project

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670

Just to see what the hardware looks like:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The control cavity, with the jack socket detail working perfectly as planned:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The neck bolt ferrules are perfect flush fit as well, very pleased with how this has come out:

The neck bolt placement also echoes the machine head arrangement - I admit this is accidental, but I really like the look now I see it:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Overall, I would like to really thank Phil at www.guitarbuild.co.uk for doing a wonderful job at translating my design into reality and taking so much trouble (a lot of emails exchanged in the last few weeks). I can't find any flaws in the craftsmanship, or the wood itself - a really beautiful looking slab of sculpted swamp ash. It's really light and resonant too - rings when I tap on it, all bodes very well. A long way to go now to do this justice and produce a lovely guitar. I'll start tomorrow lol. :D
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Wow -  that looks fantastic!    Great work! :)
    John_P said:
    Wow -  that looks fantastic!    Great work! :)

Thank you John, I can really only take credit for the design, which I admit I am a bit proud of. Phil at Guitarbuild deserves credit for doing such a great job of skillfully turning my plans into reality. But it is a great outcome, not long ago I just had a neck with an awkward to use 25" scale length, now it is turning into a gorgeous guitar! :)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Megii said:

Tasty tasty very very tasty!
    DiscoStu said:
    Tasty tasty very very tasty!

Thanks Stu! I'm glad you like the black chrome hardware - I nearly went with gold lol, but I think that would have been wrong on this guitar, the black looks sharp I reckon. :)
    Fuck no. Gold hardware is wrong wrong wrong!
    DiscoStu said:
    Fuck no. Gold hardware is wrong wrong wrong!

I'd better not show you my strat or tele then... :D  But I do think it would have been very wrong for this build, so a lucky escape there!
    I just can't stand gold hardware. No specific reason for it, I just do.

The problem with that statement is that there is some gold on my Stonebridge acoustic. 
    edited August 2013
    DiscoStu said:
    I just can't stand gold hardware. No specific reason for it, I just do.

The problem with that statement is that there is some gold on my Stonebridge acoustic. 

I think it can easily look like it's trying too hard, or a bit bling - not in a good way. But (just my own view) I think on the right guitar, if well-judged, it can work. I bet it looks fine on your Stonebridge - kudos for that btw, those are really lovely acoustics.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That looks lovely - great design and like you say kudos to GB for taking the time and turning it into something that cool...

So, finish then - discuss :)

JookyChap said:
    That looks lovely - great design and like you say kudos to GB for taking the time and turning it into something that cool...

Thanks Jooky! The short discussion is for me to say "Tru Oil".  I will apply many thin layers, with use of 0000 wire wool and/or 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper every so often, until I get a nice gloss sheen going. Probably with no grain-filling so as to leave a bit of texture to the surface - not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I like this personally. Hope you approve! What would be your preferred method with ash and a natural finish?
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Megii said:
    JookyChap said:

Thanks Jooky! The short discussion is for me to say "Tru Oil".  I will apply many thin layers, with use of 0000 wire wool and/or 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper every so often, until I get a nice gloss sheen going. Probably with no grain-filling so as to leave a bit of texture to the surface - not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I like this personally. Hope you approve! What would be your preferred method with ash and a natural finish?
    Tru-oil is fine by me.. I like that or just a simple stain and hard wax oil on ash as it always feels criminal to cover it with copper and throw acid at it because it is Evil, EVIL I tell you :)

A lot of people are going for these Wudtone kits too, though I've not tried one myself, but the results look pretty impressive. Might be worth a shufty

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Looks like a cool project :)

As an (possibly the only, to be fair) Starfield nerd, what happened to the old body?
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Looks great !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    dchwhite said:
    Looks like a cool project :)

As an (possibly the only, to be fair) Starfield nerd, what happened to the old body?

Thanks for liking the project dch - I still have the old body - hmm, I can hardly bear to tell you though, not my proudest guitar modding moment, but here's the sad tale: The Starfield Altair which donated the neck for this project looked like this:

It was a Japanese-made one from 1993, best I could find out. I bought in second hand from Mansons in Plymouth (not sure if they still have a branch there) either late '93 or '94 - I was looking for something strat-ish at the time for under £300, and this seemed the best option (there were no classic-vibe Squiers or the like back then I recall). I never found it quite satisfactory as a strat-type guitar, and in that pic I've changed the pickups to a Lace Blue in the neck, an old '80's SD classic strat stack in the middle, and alnico magnet Artec rails type in the bridge. That was a great pickup combination for me, and is basically what will be used in this new build too. The guitar did have flaws I have to say - the bass strings in particular sounded a bit dead and lacking in sustain, no matter what I tried - I think the body wood on this one was maybe not the best somehow. When I bought the guitar the scratchplate was badly aligned, and I had to fill and re-drill all the mounting holes to fix that. More recently I decided, unwisely, to try to strip the finish and was going to do a stained natural wood, oil-finished kind of thing - there were a few ugly dings on it at this point. The old finish proved very hard to remove - quite thick, I believe it is polyester, and the stuff is totally impervious to paint strippers, and very hard to remove with a heat gun (and gives off really noxious fumes if you try). Probably I needed some sort of heavy duty sanding gear, but I just ended up damaging the old finish, and what wood I did expose did not look like a good bet for a natural finish - quite a few strips glued together, with a couple of thin veneers of some soft-ish wood over the front and back (I guess to help with getting a smooth factory finish). So I was then left feeling really bad - I'd effectively wreaked the guitar, and it just sat sadly in bits on a shelf for a couple of years. The neck is nice though - I would say the best bit of the old Starfield, so a couple of months ago I contacted Guitarbuild to see about the possibility of getting a new body made for it, which I would design. And the results you can see! I do still feel bad about the demise of the Starfield though, I know these are becoming quite highly thought of lately, but at least I have done something positive with the neck. And I think it's fair to say that the new body is superior to the old one - lovely resonant one-piece swamp ash, very nicely made as you can see. But I still must apologise to fans of Starfield guitars out there, sorry...  :(

Jalapeno said:
    Looks great !
    Cheers for the thumbs up! Came out pretty well I think... :)