NPUD for my Strat - Entwistle 57's

FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
New Alan Entwistle AS57 Pickups set in the 2009 MiM Strat today. I know it's dangerous to review on first test, but this is probably the best £54 I've spent on any guitar gear.

I bought this around four years ago and it's had a local luthiers pickups in from day one. As my ears and playing have developed it has really proved pretty bland compared to other guitars.

These went in today and have played for a good hour, huge difference. Tight, balanced, articulate and distinctive, everything I had hoped. I've got a set of Entwistle pickups in my Tele and they are great, and I don't mean great 'for the the money'.

The Strat will be a keeper now, at some point I'm going to strip off the poly finish and upgrade some of the hardware and make it as good as I can. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• had a couple of sets of his pickups (can't remember which ones tbh) and they were very good for the money.

Vanson are another even cheaper pickup brand which are extremely good and imo (of previously being a pickup wh*re) stand up to  scrutiny as well as any of the handwound jobs.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    thomasw88 said:k
    had a couple of sets of his pickups (can't remember which ones tbh) and they were very good for the money.

Vanson are another even cheaper pickup brand which are extremely good and imo (of previously being a pickup wh*re) stand up to  scrutiny as well as any of the handwound jobs.
    out of interest which Vanson set ?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12418
    Nice one really glad you like them. The other entwistels you had sounded great so I was hopeful. 

If it's any consolation I had to break into the shed : )
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    munckee said:
    Nice one really glad you like them. The other entwistels you had sounded great so I was hopeful. 

If it's any consolation I had to break into the shed : )
    Bad luck on the shed.

It was a bit of luck really, the guy who put them in for me is an old boy who really knows his stuff and rewired it too. Looks like the guy who changed the last pickups wired a load of extra capacitors in there for some reason, he took four capacitors out! 

Sounds like a different guitar now. Gonna look at stripping it and upgrading the trem system.... 

• baldybaldy Frets: 195
    edited September 2018
    Congratulations on the pickups.
    I have a set of Entwistle"s in a Yamaha superstrat, HVX Bridge, HV 58+ Neck & XS 62 Middle & to my ear they are superb.
    I also have a set of Vanson 
    59 Alnico V Gold PAF style Humbuckers in an LP copy which are also, to my ears, excellent.
    There are some great sounding budget pickups about IMO.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    baldy said:
    Congratulations on the pickups.
    I have a set of Entwistle"s in a Yamaha superstrat, HVX Bridge, HV 58+ Neck & XS 62 Middle & to my ear they are superb.
    I also have a set of Vanson 59 Alnico V Gold PAF style Humbuckers in an LP copy which are also, to my ears, excellent.
    There are some great sounding budget pickups about IMO.
    My Tele has a HV 58 in the neck which is coil split, terrific pickup.