Gibson ME and CS

What's Hot
I've been looking at some Gibson ES-339s and have noticed that some have an ME serial number and tend to have Grover tuners and block inlays, yet others seem to have a CS serial, Klusons and dot inlays. Am I right in thinking that both models are made in the exact same place in Memphis and the CS serial is more of a marketing ploy than anything else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9373
    Both made in Memphis. Spec changed in 2015 to include bloc inlays, burstbuckers and a different tone cap. Most recent models have Memphis historic pickups
  • chris78 said:
    Both made in Memphis. Spec changed in 2015 to include bloc inlays, burstbuckers and a different tone cap. Most recent models have Memphis historic pickups
    Thanks, the one I'm looking at has Klusons, dot inlays and '57 pickups, is this another recent change? 
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Get one with the MHS pickups - they are significantly better IMO than either Burstbuckers or ‘57’s. They’re the Memphis equivalent of Custombuckers on a Les Paul. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    Adamski said:
    Get one with the MHS pickups - they are significantly better IMO than either Burstbuckers or ‘57’s. They’re the Memphis equivalent of Custombuckers on a Les Paul. 
    Wisdom.  MHS are great pickups.

I much prefer my ES Les Paul with MHS pickups to the 339 I had before.  Some of that is probably the different construction, but some of it is the fact that the MHS pickups are better than the 57 Classics.
    chris78 said:
    Thanks, the one I'm looking at has Klusons, dot inlays and '57 pickups, is this another recent change? 
    They’re the older models
    Adamski said:
    Agreed, but if the price is right, get an older one with 57s, rip them out and get the boutique humbucker of your choice