Big frets on vintage radius

What's Hot
RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
I fancy getting some bigger frets on my jazzmaster.  Any potential issues this may cause? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14353
    tFB Trader
    will cause no structural issues at all - assuming a good competent re-fret - Matter of taste as to which you prefer but I'd go with you on this with larger frets on a vintage radius - Easier string bending for sure
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    will cause no structural issues at all - assuming a good competent re-fret - Matter of taste as to which you prefer but I'd go with you on this with larger frets on a vintage radius - Easier string bending for sure
    Good to know. I find vintage gets really unforgiving. Lots of people seem to fish about them for chords. I get the vintage radius being more comfortable but the frets are hard work. 

Maybe that's just me though.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16768
    If you get them nice and tall you can also play with the radius a bit, make it a bit compound so it flattened off up the neck to help bending

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve got @stonevibe’s old 1970 JM. It’s got a vintage radius neck with what I reckon are medium jumbo frets. I love the feel and the relative ease of bending. I had the same on a 76 strat and I’m about to get a 72 Thinline Tele done too. I’m not a fan of lower frets but find the 7.25 radius really comfy
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1958
    I actually like the feel of large frets on a vintage radius - Huge difference in playability
  • Love the 6105s on my 7.25'' tele. I don't really get on with this radius, but its fine with the larger frets. I do still find I have to have the action a little higher that I would ideally like though.
  • When my MIJ '57 re-issue Strat, 7.25",  needed a re-fret I went with jumbo frets.  And then recently it's had a trip to Feline who have dressed the frets including making it slightly compound down at the dusty end to help with action/choking.  They did a super job, it's lovely and very playable.

• Just be aware that you might not like it. I got tall frets put on my paisley tele and it changed the character of the guitar a little. MILES easier to play, but I was used to fighting it a bit, which obviously is less of a thing now. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14353
    tFB Trader
    Schnozz said:
    I actually like the feel of large frets on a vintage radius - Huge difference in playability
    totally - so much easier to play IMO