SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted: Les Paul Junior/Special

What's Hot
Alfi27Alfi27 Frets: 52
edited November 2018 in Guitars £
Hey lads,

I'm looking for a Les Paul with P90(s). A few things that are important: 

- P90(s) obviously
- light weight (around or less than 3.5kg preferably)
- fat neck (at least no 60's slim taper nonsense)
- some sort of lacquer finish (not a deal breaker if the other three requirements are met)
- wraparound bridge

So an Epiphone LQ (lacquer series) Les Paul Junior is high on my wishing list, but they are damn near impossible to find these days... And a Custom Shop Gibson Jr won't go for anywhere near £1000, I'm sure of. 

To be honest I'm quite flexible, it doesn't need to be an exact vintage correct representation of a Les Paul Junior or Special. I just missed a very nice PRS Mira Soapbar 245 by £20 on an auction, what a massive bummer...

As long as it's cool, a technically good guitar, have P90(s) and meet the listed requirements you are free to throw me any deal! But just remember that £1000 is pushing it already, so it has to be complete bullseye and obviously a sensible price compared to the market value (an LQ, although rare, is not worth anywhere near that much). 

I'm located in Liverpool, but I have probably bought and sold closer to 70 guitars over the years over the internet (with emphazis on *sold*) so I should probably start trying out guitars before buying... But I'm willing to take the risk again! 

Cheers guys!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    There's a few on eBay and Gumtree. I know because i'm on the same hunt!
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    What about the one above. I've got one and its superb, especially with an upgrade pickup and 50's style wiring loom from oilcity pickups. It's a tonemonster.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited September 2018
    I don't know if there's ever been a Gibson USA Jr or Special model with a fat neck.  I've searched far and wide.

Your best bet might be this:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/122379/fs-les-paul-special-vos-1960-sc-cherry-1250
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    I know that a grand is your limit but I have this... not too much over. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/134585/prs-mccarty-soapbar-goldtop#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    Alfi27 said:
    an LQ, although rare, is not worth anywhere near that much.
    Out of interest, how much do you reckon they are worth?
  • Alfi27Alfi27 Frets: 52
    edited September 2018
    Thank you fellas! Yes, Gibson USAs all have too slim necks for me, except for some very few 50's necks. I really, really hope that LP Special is still available, would have been absolutely perfect! Have bought plenty of pickups from him as well, very decent bloke.

@merlin I already have two gold finished guitars, and I really want bird inlays if getting a PRS... Sorry! I bet it's an amazing guitar though. 

@Philly_Q Excellent question, I remember one on Gumtree listed last year for £800 or something like that. The ones I have seen on Reverb usually go for £400-600, I missed out on one in Norway that went for like £420... Most likely the only one of the sort in the entire country.

This summer I ordered an Epiphone LQ Goldtop (essentially a Japanese made R7 with an Epiphone logo) from Japan and it's crazy good, it's the Les Paul that I connected the most with out of every single one that I have owned, which isn't few and includes several Gibson Custom Shops. It was close to the price of a Gibson USA (ended up at around £900 including VAT), and I also put in a set of Thornbuckers and an RS kit I had laying around. Nails that Tele on steroids sound, and never before have I enjoyed a neck humbucker that much! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    Interesting.  I've got a couple of Epiphone LQ guitars, got them about 10 years ago when they were relatively easy to find on eBay.  They're certainly very, very good for the money.  And they have the proper headstock shape!
  • Philly_Q said:
    Interesting.  I've got a couple of Epiphone LQ guitars, got them about 10 years ago when they were relatively easy to find on eBay.  They're certainly very, very good for the money.  And they have the proper headstock shape!
    Oh really, if one of them is a Junior and you're considering to let it go I'm sure we could work something out! 

Yes they are indeed, and the headstock shape is one of the major reasons I got interested in them in the first place... The standard Epiphone headstock is the fugliest in the business. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom