NPD x 2: Crowther Hotcake and Hudson Broadcast

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8193
Bought from the gentleman that is @Babones - a cracking little pedal. Thank you. I'd heard these work well with Vox amps and it's certainly true. Lovely.

Bought the Hudson Broadcast (the dual switch one) brand new from Joe's. Not sure it's my cup of tea. Bit too gainy for my ears - I like the first switch setting but getting that at the right level means that the second setting is much too snarly.

May persevere or the Hudson may be heading for the classifieds. If anyone is after one with 10 mins playing time, PM me.
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    You should dig into those internal trimpots and balance the Broadcast's gain levels out.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8193
    Beyond my capabilities that....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Hattigol said:
    ...what???

try it at 12/18/24 volts. I think it sounds nicest at 18 on both settings really.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Yup, way better at 18v than 9v. I haven't fiddled with the trimmer yet either although I will. I thought the high side was a bit too much too, I didn't think I was a gain guy but I've sort of gotten into it.

My plan is to use the trimmers to boost gain on the low side and reduce gain on the high side; that way I will be able to reduce the level of the gain knob and have two useful settings - I've found to get any breakup with single coils on the low setting I currently have to have the gain knob quite high which makes the high side nuts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Glad you like it.  =)
    bbill335 said:
    Hattigol said:
    ...what???

try it at 12/18/24 volts. I think it sounds nicest at 18 on both settings really.
    Confused here. Is there an internal adjustment to make? I really really don't fancy taking it apart and fiddling with it even if it's easy.

Or are you just suggesting using a different power supply? I have a T Rex Fuel tank but the only other option to 9v is 12v. Is that an option?

I can't find the 12v blue cable. Does it matter if I use a standard power cable?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Hattigol said:
    bbill335 said:
    Hattigol said:
    ...what???

Confused here. Is there an internal adjustment to make? I really really don't fancy taking it apart and fiddling with it even if it's easy.

Or are you just suggesting using a different power supply? I have a T Rex Fuel tank but the only other option to 9v is 12v. Is that an option?

I can't find the 12v blue cable. Does it matter if I use a standard power cable?
    if you can change a string and turn a knob, you can adjust a trimpot
    bbill335 said:
    Hattigol said:
    bbill335 said:
    Hattigol said:
    ...what???

Is there a guide to this somewhere?
    Hattigol said:
    bbill335 said:
    Hattigol said:
    bbill335 said:
    Hattigol said:
    ...what???

Is there a guide to this somewhere?
    Re the power - you'll need a supply that offers alternative voltages - just plug them in, no adjustment to the pedal required. 

Re changing gain of each stage, there are two little blue dials inside that you can turn with a screw driver - each controls gain for one side - turn CCW for lower gain, CW for more gain. 
  • To add to this, if you can a knob on top of a pedal, you can turn a trimpot inside of a pedal... but I’d advise you to mark it’s default position with a pen so that you can always return to factory settings if need be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ok. may give it a go.
    I'm reading that people's preference tends to be to turn the lower gain up and the higher one down - is that the consensus?
    Hattigol said:
    Ok. may give it a go.
    I'm reading that people's preference tends to be to turn the lower gain up and the higher one down - is that the consensus?
    Really depends on desired outcome. What you describe is what I am planning to try to achieve light breakup on one channel and a more saturated sound on the second channel with single coils.