Sheraton or Riviera?

What's Hot
In my search for a next guitar I've narrowed it down to just 2 guitars. The epiphone sheraton II pro in wine red OR the epiphone riviera p93 custom also in wine red. What are the pros and cons of these guitars. The sheraton is about £80 more. I will mostly be playing stone roses and oasis. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Both are very nice guitars with a 335 shape, and I don't think you'll go far wrong with either of them.  

I have a Sheraton II but as it's a 1989 model from the Samick factory, it's going to be different to the new versions. 

Biggest differences of the two you are considering, aside from the Sheraton being a bit more 'ornate', are:

The Riviera P93 has 3 P90 pick-ups, whilst the Sheraton has two Humbuckers with coil-tapping (it also has a graphite nut). So for tonal versatility the Sheraton is likely to have the edge by giving you both fatter humbucker and thinner, brighter single-coil tone combinations. 

But this depends on the tones you like - P90's will sound different and can be very warm sounding, albeit a little brighter than humbuckers, but being single coil they can also be noisier, especially with higher gain/distortion tones under lighting, near electrical equipment (eg computers) etc. 

The P93 has a bigby trem - so if you need a trem, then the P93 will likely be a better fit - as the Sheraton Pro is hardtail.  You can fit a Bigsby to the vSheraton but that's more expenses and needs to be fitted properly.

The fretboard inlays go all the way down the neck on the Riviera, but on the Sheraton they (including side dot markers) stop at the 15th fret which can be disconcerting for some players.

Both have a solid centre section with hollow 'wings' - the advantage of this design is that you get great semi-acoustic tone but you don't get the feedback problems often associated with semi-acoustics that are hollow throughout. 

The Sheraton comes with Grover Machine-heads, the Riviera has Wilkinson machine heads. 

Both are very nice guitars but you need to play them side-by-side to see which sounds & feels best to you, and consider how you're likely going to be using it.

In case you haven't yet seen them, here are the official marketing vids for both:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice thorough answer from Voxman.

I will only add that it might be worth seeking a pre-owned Yamaha Yamaha SA503 TVL Troy van Leeuwen Signature model. Its switching system should prove quicker in use onstage than the three volumes and one master tone layout of the Riviera P93.

Calum13 said:
    I will be mostly playing stone roses and oasis. 
    Humbuckers. No sissy coil splitting.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    They're essentially the same thing with different pickups.  When I was looking for some semi-hollow goodness the Sheraton was a bit blingier than the Dot - but they both felt identical (thick gloopy finish that would need some sanding)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • The Sheraton has a neck made of 3 lengthwise strips of maple and 2 of walnut (I think) whereas I'd guess the Riviera has the standard Epiphone scarf-jointed, separate heel mahogany neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I always fancied a Yamaha SA503TVL with the 3xP90 but they stopped making it b4 I could save enough reddies after splurging out on a 59 Bassman and Gibson 335 in close quarters...

https://images.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/YYAMAHA62214b.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • the_jaffa said:
    What about looking at a Hofner Verithin? Similar to an Sheraton to look at but from the same brand as John Squire’s splattered semi. 
    I've seen a few that I like. There's one that's a gold top with a bigsby and a flamed sunburst one. The only reason I haven't considered one is because no guitar shops near me have any. I could consider it though. I think johns one has coil splitting/tapping.
  • I've also been looking at some korean/japanese rivieras like the one bonehead from oasis played. Noel also had a Japanese Riviera in a wine red colour. 
  • If you can, get yourself one of these - '83 Riviera. They are great guitars! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also worth a look at the Gretsch Streamliners
  • If you can, get yourself one of these - '83 Riviera. They are great guitars! 

Is that the same as boneheads one? I'll see if I can find any.
  • Calum13 said:
    If you can, get yourself one of these - '83 Riviera. They are great guitars! 

Is that the same as boneheads one? I'll see if I can find any.
    Yes, antique sunburst. Pretty hard to find tho..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom