Pedals for Lazy J?

What's Hot
mgawmgaw Frets: 5294
edited September 2018 in FX
I have finally got my shit together enough to buy a lazy j 20 with vac but no reverb or trem...so reverb pedal recs please and boost/overdrive/fuzz  which ones play nicely.

looking forward to a wide range of different recommendations which will no doubt leave me more perplexed than usual:)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4253
    I'm very much enjoying the Strymon Flint for reverb and trem. Very versatile and sounds great into my tweed style amps.
  • I found the Lazy J a wee bit more picky. Naturally, the LJ own is good
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    KOT -> Delay of choice -> Flint -> LazyJ = Lovely
  • Not found my J that picky with drive pedals, although it didn’t work with a Muffroom cloud. Everything else I tried has been fine.

bearfoot pedals work particularly well with it, honeybee, sparkling yellow od, pink purple fuzz etc. Klone a great combo too

I have the built in reverb in mine, but also use a Supermoon when I need more...
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5294
    shopping list so far  = Flint reverb and trem
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16148
    Tumnus with the treble turned up 
  • Flint for both reverb and trem or Talisman if you want reverb alone - lovely plate 70s feel. 
    if only i could find a Talisman for sale somewhere @dangriffiths ;
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I first got my J20 it didn't have reverb on it. So I used the Flint and it was awesome. I then added the reverb module to the J20 and felt I never needed the Flint - and I needed the sale to fund the reverb module. However, then I never used trem as much as I do now. Damn I miss that pedal cos it sounded so good with the Lazy J :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    I use an OCD clone I built (on 18V) for drive a lot. Flatter mids than some overdrives seems to work with the tweed styling.

The amp does take pedals really well.  I tend to put it on an edge of breakup sound so it's clean if I pick gently, and has some hair on it if I pick hard.  Set like that you can get nice cleans with the reverb pedal.  When I use drive pedals, they are adding some of their own drive, but they are also pushing the amp harder.

If you can afford it, the Big Sky is the best reverb pedal there is IMO.
  • +1 for Flint. I am loving the Thorpy Dane with it for boost/drive. 
    thanks @mattdavis ;  thorpy Dane would do the job nicely
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    I have a Flint with my Tweed deluxe and as long as you don’t over do the Reverb level it’s great
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    edited September 2018
    I am selling a Bearfoot SYOD3 so declare an interest but it was easily the best tweed-type OD into my Lazy J before I bought the Origin Revival. Genuinely sounds like the amp's overdrive but at home volumes.

And, yep, Flint for the easiest reverb/trem solution 

• AxealAxeal Frets: 18
    Mark - buy John's Bearfoot SYOD3 and quickly before someone else gets their mits on it. It's a match made in heaven with the Lazy.J. Take my advice - you won't regret it.
  • Axeal said:
    Mark - buy John's Bearfoot SYOD3 and quickly before someone else gets their mits on it. It's a match made in heaven with the Lazy.J. Take my advice - you won't regret it.
    So thats three of us in this thread recommending the SYOD / J20 combo, so that drive, and a Flint for reverb should have you sorted!
    thanks all sounds like flint and syod  will try my exisdting drives first then pounce on Johns or not as the case may be
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @mgaw You'd do worse than take that Walrus Audio Verb pedal that @JonHosker has up for sale .. good base reverb and the option for some presents. I also have an XOTIC Custom Shop BB MB available which would shape the tone of the Lazy really nicely 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)