Rivera Quiana Studio combo volume drop.

bdc64bdc64 Frets: 13
Can anyone help me figure out why my amp is fine for 30/40 mins then the volume drops very low, I then turn it off for a while and it's ok for another while. The amp was serviced so all the valves are ok .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    bdc64 said:
    Can anyone help me figure out why my amp is fine for 30/40 mins then the volume drops very low, I then turn it off for a while and it's ok for another while. The amp was serviced so all the valves are ok .
    Not necessarily, especially if some of them are new. If it is one, it will be a preamp valve.

It could also be something completely different, most likely a resistor or a solder joint which is failing when hot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bdc64bdc64 Frets: 13
    I am thinking it's a solder as the problem starts when the amp is warmed up. The tech could not find any fault when he had it running for an hour but once I had it back the problem returned.
    I also tried 5 fully working preamp valves from another amp, same problem.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    Did he run it on the bench with the chassis open? If so that will have stopped it getting as hot. He will need to cover it with something like a sheet of plywood to replicate the condition.

These faults can be a bugger to find, but it does sound like it’s easier than something completely intermittent. Once it has cut out, it should be easy - as long as it stays like that for long enough!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bdc64bdc64 Frets: 13
    That is a very good point, I bet he did have it open. His report said "bench tested". Well thanks very much for your help I will have another chat with the guy.