So it sold for £280,000

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14288
in Guitar tFB Trader
https://reverb.com/news/harrisons-cavern-club-maton-sells-for-280000-pounds-at-auction

Sold at Gardiner + Houlgate auction for £280,000 - yes I have the right amount of zeros - I forgot to add fees - So it is now £347,200

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I know. Some slimy bastard sniped me at the last second. I bid 279,977 thinking no one will beat that. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14288
    tFB Trader
    I know. Some slimy bastard sniped me at the last second. I bid 279,977 thinking no one will beat that. 
    Sure Deb or KW would have helped you out with a few quid

I think bidding started of at something like 60K - I thought about bidding at that stage just to say I had - Knowing, at least hoping, that someone will come in above me - then bail out of the bidding - Believe the buyer was in the room - So not an on-line purchase
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited September 2018
    I know. Some slimy bastard sniped me at the last second. I bid 279,977 thinking no one will beat that. 
    Years ago there was an auction of somebody's estate which included lots of old bicycles, including custom made ones by Raleigh and others used in British races with the numbers still attached. I registered to bid on one, because it was the same one my older cousin had when he was a schoolboy champion.

Bidding on that bike (and others) went above my £200 limit, so at the time I was gutted to miss out on a genuine racing bike from the 1970s.

A few months later, when the truth came out about Jimmy Saville, I was glad not to have bought one of his bikes.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Years ago there was an auction of somebody's estate which included lots of old bicycles, including custom made ones by Raleigh and others used in British races with the numbers still attached. I registered to bid on one, because it was the same one my older cousin had when he was a schoolboy champion.

Bidding on that bike (and others) went above my £200 limit, so at the time I was gutted to miss out on a genuine racing bike from the 1970s.

A few months later, when the truth came out about Jimmy Saville, I was glad not to have bought one of his bikes.
    I know a guy that’s got a couple of paintings by Rolf Harris which he’s not really sure what to do with .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    DrBob said:

I know a guy that’s got a couple of paintings by Rolf Harris which he’s not really sure what to didgeridoo with .
    fixed for you.
    35reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Lol duly awarded 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2960
    According to the catalogue blurb:

The guitar was exhibited at The Beatles Story Museum in Liverpool from 2014-2015 and then offered at Juliens Auctions, New York on 16th May 2015 (ex lot 424 ‘Music Icons’) with a listed hammer price of $485,000.

So.....quick XE conversion, £347,200 = $452,356

Someone picked up a bargain?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobb said:
    According to the catalogue blurb:

The guitar was exhibited at The Beatles Story Museum in Liverpool from 2014-2015 and then offered at Juliens Auctions, New York on 16th May 2015 (ex lot 424 ‘Music Icons’) with a listed hammer price of $485,000.

So.....quick XE conversion, £347,200 = $452,356

Someone picked up a bargain?
    It was in The Beatles Story Museum when I was there in April this year.
    As I understand it the guitar never belonged to George, it was a loaner from the shop repairing his Gretsch and was used for The Beatles last ever Cavern performance  and all their gigs May to August 1963. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2960
    it also had a life with Tony Hicks from The Hollies. According to my mum, a much better band. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • DrBob said:

I know a guy that’s got a couple of paintings by Rolf Harris which he’s not really sure what to do with .
    Yup we have one of them in the loft. Cost the Mrs a fair bit, just waiting for the old perv to die and hoping it may go back up in price past the price of firewood it’s now worth. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    you mean you didn't employ a realtime Auction Sniffer???
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

https://i.imgur.com/mD1akDM.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    Sounds overpriced to me, and it didn't even reach the estimate.

Why would a guitar that George didn't own, only played very briefly and was not used on any Beatles recordings or film of their gigs be worth over a quarter of a million pounds, let alone more than that?

Celebrity association gone bonkers.

And I'm quite a Beatles/George fan...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom