Strat advice needed

What's Hot
My boss knows that I play the guitar so he's asked me for advice. His sister-in-law wants to buy her fella a 1978 (year he was born) Strat for his birthday, so he's asking me for advice/where to get one/what to look for...

I've literally never owned a Strat, so all I know is that some are better than others. Help!
Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just eBay or reverb Strat 1978 and see what's about.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • EBAY, just type in 1978 Strat. See what comes up. 

Beware though, vintage guitars and seventies Strats are a mine field, approximately the size of China 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14354
    tFB Trader
    My boss knows that I play the guitar so he's asked me for advice. His sister-in-law wants to buy her fella a 1978 (year he was born) Strat for his birthday, so he's asking me for advice/where to get one/what to look for...

I've literally never owned a Strat, so all I know is that some are better than others. Help!
    will be no shortage of 78 Strats for sale - Options then were :- Colour, rosewood or maple fingerboard, trem or non trem

I'd opt for the trem option, even if you don't use it - Colour option or maple/rosewood fingerboard is up to you

It is not the best period of guitar building - To be honest one of the worse and prices of models in this era are rising

Try and get one not to heavy and find one with a decent neck/body join - Some during this era have a wide gap that you can get a 1p down the side of

As to where - then try Reverb, Ebay, google and see what dealers have in stock as well - £1200/1800 is what they are going for as an all original clean example - Are they worth it is a different question
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574

Yes.... and '78s are among the very worst.

Seriously, if he wants a Strat then buy anything other than a '78 (or any '77-'81), and if he wants a '78 anything, buy almost any other guitar than a Strat.

It's true that it's not impossible to find a (rare) quite good one, but letting someone who wants to buy a present for someone else go shopping is just asking to be ripped off with the heaviest, lumpiest, ugliest and most overpriced example any dealer really wants rid of.

That said, a friend of mine is selling a '78 Antigua burst Strat, so if you want to see how bad they can really get, I can forward his number :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You’d be better trying Strat-talk.....this is a Les Paul forum!  :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9369
    I’m also born and 78 and I’ve looked for a few years for a 78 strat or tele. Everyone I’ve tried or seen has been utter junk. Bad neck pocket, boat anchor, horrid thick slippy poly finishes, often flaking on the neck. Often need a refret. Pickups are pretty terrible too.

Id love a birth year guitar, ideally a tele, but I haven’t felt the need to spend close to 2k on a lousy guitar
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14354
    tFB Trader
    Can get some ok 78 Gibson LPs - granted not all are good or bad but more likely to find a decent LP from 78 than a good Strat

Or a Made in japan Yamaha SG or Ibanez Artist - solid body or semi acoustic

a 78 Rickenbacker 330 or 360 will be okay
    Actually, you could probably find a '78 *Tokai* 'Springy Sound' Strat... they started in 1977.

Half the price, twice the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • There’s a 1978 Fender Mustang in the classifieds now...
  • Late seventies Fenders are all over the place - lots advertised as such but can be ‘79’s or even early 80’s guitars.

If I was buying one just because it was a ‘78 I’d want a lot of evidence before buying. Here’s some decent info:

https://www.strat-central.com/70sstrats/

If if you see a sienna burst advertised as a ‘78 I’ve been told it’s incorrect as that colour wasn’t available until the 80’s. There’s probably more colours like that...

In terms of ‘78 guitars in general it’s also my vintage. I haven’t found anything worth buying/keeping in many years of looking. Mainly it’s overpriced shit that’s about.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    What about a 78 Yamaha SG2000 :)
    edited September 2018
    Iamnobody said:
    Late seventies Fenders are all over the place - lots advertised as such but can be ‘79’s or even early 80’s guitars.
    That’s correct. The S8 serial number was supposed to designate a 1978 guitar, and most sellers/dealers will describe any guitar with one as a “78”, but Fender printed the decals in bulk, applied them to the necks in bulk, and only later were the guitars assembled. You can find S8 decals on guitars that were actually made at least as late as 1980. (Equally you will find S7s that were actually made in 1978.)

Fender’s production was actually slowing down in this period - due to falling demand, because players were becoming aware of the awful quality and improving Japanese competition - so the later years have even more overlap.

To accurately date a Fender from this era you need to look at the stamps on the neck heel, neck pocket, back of the pickguard, and the pot date codes. All of them will most likely be different, and the latest is roughly the date of assembly, or at least the closest you can get to knowing it.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12414
    I had a 78 Strat. Biggest pile of crap I’ve ever owned. I bought it before I knew much about guitars at the time and thought it looked cool. Now they’re stupidly priced,  and it’s just because they’re old. Seriously, get something different.