Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I have a problem, Problem solved, NGD!

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
edited September 2018 in Guitar
A while back I sold my old Epi Lp Standard, 95 Korean, lovely thing. Now since then I have been gassing for another one, the gas has built up and Im now feeling the pressure!
One has come up for sale locally and apart from a small chip to the body it looks really lovely, its a burst but a lovely burst, its dripping with loveliness and I am sure I can smell the mojo from the photos in the add. Its going to make me a far far better guitarist than I am at the moment, not to mention the sheer happiness it will bring into my otherwise dull , monotonous life cycle of work , sleep , gas , work , sleep , gas, 
Now, the only obstacle between me and guitar nirvana is my other half, she may get upset. A while back I had four guitars and I whittled it all down to one and became a one guitar man, but its a Tele, and I need an Lp, and a Tele, so good folk of the fretboard, how can I justify this to my other half who understands nothing about guitars, GAS, or the longing to hear humbuckers played once again through a slightly overdriven amp?   
Please God, somebody help me!
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Easy - buy the Les Paul, and put the Tele up for sale.

For three times what it's actually worth.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    Ooooh, you rascal, that's a top idea. I did toy with selling my wee Vox amp to compensate but Id miss it too much.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Is buying this guitar going to put real financial pressure on your household? 
    Nope, but I did say I wouldn't buy another guitar, I know its not a 3K Gibson but in her eyes its just another unnecessary thing that's only going to be in the way. 
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 336

Now, the only obstacle between me and guitar nirvana is my other half, she may get upset.
    Only “may” get upset. That sounds like it’s worth the risk.
    I love my brick
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    So, is it better to seek forgiveness or permission?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    robgilmo said:
    Nope, but I did say I wouldn't buy another guitar, I know its not a 3K Gibson but in her eyes its just another unnecessary thing that's only going to be in the way. 
    If it’s not going to cause any financial hardship, then it should be up for discussion. I’d like to think in any healthy relationship, you want to support each other’s passions in life 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Pretty much mirrors the ongoing saga in my household. After buying a fire sale ES335 3 weeks ago I might just have ordered a fire sale LG2 American Eagle....I’ll tell the missus if it’s a keeper...
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 336
    robgilmo said:
    Either way you’d be in the brown stuff, so I’d go for forgiveness, at least you’d have your lp to cuddle
    I love my brick
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • you have to explain to her the difference between the clean twang of a bridge pickup in the tele and the warmth of the humbuckers on a LP, the scale length difference of a fender and a gibson and the different attributes of a set neck against a bolt on neck.  Im 100% sure once you have done this she will agree that you need both and will be very calm about it.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I see the dilemma with the Tele.

Best thing is to take out a For Sale ad. Make sure you highlight all the good points and bad ones. Set a fair price you'd be happy with. 

Then once you've sold her off, you, the Tele and the Les Paul can get along just fine.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you are gigging, explain the need for a back-up instrument. ;)

Alternatively, if your Telecaster is an MIM Fender, take a look under its scratchplate. You may find a generously proportioned neck position pickup cavity, capable of accommodating a humbucker.

Of course, if the critical factors in your GAS are the looks and/or the scale length, only an LP will do.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • 1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Just show her one of the “family shot” type threads and tell how very lucky she is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22897
    edited September 2018
    robgilmo said:

Isn't there anything she likes to buy, or do, in the way of unnecessary luxury for herself?  You could make a comparison with that, say it's just your bit of harmless self-indulgence.

... won't work if she lives like a Spartan, of course.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I also remind my wife that if buying guitars weren’t my hobby, I’d spend it on Golf or Football like the “other” men, which would take me out the house a lot more. Or maybe class A drugs and prostitutes.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Ok guys, I have decided to man up and discuss it with her first, I think she will be cool about it, the last acquisition was a Peavey Deuce, she kind of sarcastically kind of said ''well that's big, isn't it'' but she grew to love it, every other night, I mean who in their right mind can deny the sweet sound of someone practicing scales wafting through the house or the drunken attempts of a wannabe rock stars midnight soloing soaring through the heavens at 11 o'clock on a Saturday night? I mean really?     
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Does your wife wear a little black dress and high heels for a walk on the moors?  Does she prefer Rab trousers and hiking boots for a night out with her girly mates?  Just explain that certain songs call for certain guitars.  Mine has now got to the point where she'll say "You'd need a Tele for that." etc.  We met when I was playing a gig in 1977 so she's pretty used to having a selection of guitars around the place.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Man up - one life just live it ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    robgilmo said:
    Permission. Anyone who says the opposite probably hasn’t been married a long time... or isn’t going to be .

I was joking before . I’ve always said that you actually only *need* one guitar, but two isn’t ridiculous if they’re either different enough to be useful soundwise, or similar enough to be backups for each other, or (difficult, but a Tele and a Les Paul just about do it) both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom