Basic question

What's Hot
Hello all - 

I am sorry to trouble you all with such a basic question - but I was wondering whats the advantages and disadvantages of using a head and cab as opposed to a combo?

(Ive only ever used a combo - I gig and record with a Fender Blues Deluxe)

I am grateful for any info - please don't assume I know ANYTHING. I am a novice

Thanks
James. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Means when you're playing multi band bills you can backline share more easily.Also more flexible in that you can use different sized cabs for different situations. Plus an easier carry.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72557
    Heads are less hard on valves and other internal components in the amp, both because they're kept more separate from the vibrations from the speaker, and because usually the cooling is better in a head with the chassis at the bottom than a combo with it at the top or the back.

The vibration in combos does have a small but noticeable effect on the sound - generally 'good' if you want more open, vintage-type sounds and 'bad' if you want tight, focused modern sounds. Not quite the same as reverb, but it can make the sound more 'lively'.

A head and cab is usually heavier than an equivalent combo overall but easier to carry because the weight is in two parts... on the other hand also more of a faff since there are two things to carry. A small combo is less hassle than a small head and cab, but a big combo can be worse than a head and cab.

Almost all combos are open-back, and most (but not all) cabs are closed-back - this has a major impact on the tone and dispersion. Generally open-back fills a small space better, but closed has more thump and projection - but also can be very directional.

You can mix and match heads and cabs, depending on impedance and power rating.

Heads and cabs look 'rock', combos look 'blues', 'alternative', or whatever :).

I prefer combos despite some of their disadvantages.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Heads are less hard on valves and other internal components in the amp, both because they're kept more separate from the vibrations from the speaker, and because usually the cooling is better in a head with the chassis at the bottom than a combo with it at the top or the back.

The vibration in combos does have a small but noticeable effect on the sound - generally 'good' if you want more open, vintage-type sounds and 'bad' if you want tight, focused modern sounds. Not quite the same as reverb, but it can make the sound more 'lively'.

A head and cab is usually heavier than an equivalent combo overall but easier to carry because the weight is in two parts... on the other hand also more of a faff since there are two things to carry. A small combo is less hassle than a small head and cab, but a big combo can be worse than a head and cab.

Almost all combos are open-back, and most (but not all) cabs are closed-back - this has a major impact on the tone and dispersion. Generally open-back fills a small space better, but closed has more thump and projection - but also can be very directional.

You can mix and match heads and cabs, depending on impedance and power rating.

Heads and cabs look 'rock', combos look 'blues', 'alternative', or whatever :).

I prefer combos despite some of their disadvantages.
    I just want to say a quick thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive answer. I know this stuff is probably known to the majority - but its new to me and the information you've provided is exactly what I wanted to know. 

Much appreciated @ICBM ;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom