How absolutely bizarre! - but now resolved & found a key that fits!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
edited September 2018 in Guitar
One of my guitar cases, a Hiscox Liteflite, has locked itself in the open position.  I bought it new maybe 20 yrs ago and I'm buggered if I can find the original keys as I've never used them. 

As I said - absolutely bizarre!!  o  I've dropped Hiscox a line to see if they might be able to help.
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited September 2018
    Poltergeist 

(I presume you’ve tried all the obvious application of lubricant, jiggling with small screwdriver type home remedies..?)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    JerkMoans said:
    Poltergeist 

(I presume you’ve tried all the obvious application of lubricant, jiggling with small screwdriver type home remedies..?)
    Yup...won't open.   :/
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Is the guitar inside or outside the case? 
    If it's inside it might be some considerable time before you see it again!

Forget the small screwdrivers and jiggling...an axe will do it.
    TA22GT said:
    Is the guitar inside or outside the case? 
    If it's inside it might be some considerable time before you see it again!

Forget the small screwdrivers and jiggling...an axe will do it.
    Outside...locked in open position fortunately as per OP. 
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Oh I see now! I thought you meant the lock had locked itself in the "open position of the lock itself " meaning you hadn't turned the key to lock it. 
    A bit slow but I got there.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Use any other guitar case key made by any other company ever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    TA22GT said:
    Oh I see now! I thought you meant the lock had locked itself in the "open position of the lock itself " meaning you hadn't turned the key to lock it. 
    A bit slow but I got there.
    No, you got it. I can't close the case properly.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    Looking at the locks on my Fender case and the keys that cam with it I will never lock it, ever. If it ever locked itself tapping it with a spoon would probably fix it.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a case sans keys and Hiscox sent me some free replacements. They really are the bees knees.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Well I'll be jiggered.  I rummaged our drawers for old keys we'd kept for donkeys years and found a bag left by the folk we bought our house from 16 yrs ago - radiator keys, window keys, alarm keys - and some keys that looked like they might be the right size...and I found two linked together that fit, and my Hiscox case now opens and closes as it should. 

But to lock or unlock the case takes serious and deliberate 'force' - when I say force I mean re normal locking action, i.e. you have to turn the lock past a point where the mechanism 'grabs' to turn the cylinders - not 'brute force' (if that makes sense).  So I simply don't understand how the case could possibly have locked itself, but it did.  :/

It's a very strange mystery but at least the problem has now been resolved.  :)
  • Voxman said:
    Well I'll be jiggered.  I rummaged our drawers for old keys we'd kept for donkeys years and found a bag left by the folk we bought our house from 16 yrs ago - radiator keys, window keys, alarm keys - and some keys that looked like they might be the right size...and I found two linked together that fit, and my Hiscox case now opens and closes as it should. 

But to lock or unlock the case takes serious and deliberate 'force' - when I say force I mean re normal locking action, i.e. you have to turn the lock past a point where the mechanism 'grabs' to turn the cylinders - not 'brute force' (if that makes sense).  So I simply don't understand how the case could possibly have locked itself, but it did.  :/

It's a very strange mystery but at least the problem has now been resolved.  :)

Do you have any kids? In my experience it is always a kid who causes things like this.

Or a Ghost. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    Voxman said:

But to lock or unlock the case takes serious and deliberate 'force' - when I say force I mean re normal locking action, i.e. you have to turn the lock past a point where the mechanism 'grabs' to turn the cylinders - not 'brute force' (if that makes sense).  So I simply don't understand how the case could possibly have locked itself, but it did. 

It's a very strange mystery but at least the problem has now been resolved. 

Do you have any kids? In my experience it is always a kid who causes things like this.

Or a Ghost. 
    None under the age of 20 and they'd never touch my gear!  So gotta be one of them poltageist thingamees!  =)
  • You've not got one of these on your keyring have you?

You've not got one of these on your keyring have you?

Sadly no...or he'd certainly have been the primary suspect.