Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Pauls - best years?

What's Hot
Gents,

All these R8 shenanigans have very much got me in the market for a nice Les Paul.

I had a Standard a while back, which I bought in 2006 but which, in all honesty, wasn't a great guitar - I sold it a few years later. I've stayed away from Gibson from then till now, really (with the exception of a '65 SG Special), on the basis of their persistent QC issues, questionable additions/modifications to the ranges, and business practice. 

However I tried an R8 and an R9 today (both vastly overpriced examples in Denmark St), as well as a '99 Custom. All three were truly fantastic guitars - especially the R8 - and would fill a current niche in my collection.

I'm keen on the early reissues made over '87-99, as my general experience with guitars from this era has been positive and the tops/finished are generally very pretty. However there's been a lot of chat about how Gibson's current guitars are some of the best they've ever made.

I'm currently torn between an R8 from the recent lot of sales, and a very nice-looking 1988 '59 reissue I've found overseas.

There must be some proper Les Paul nuts on here, and I'd be super grateful for your views!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader

I don't think you can judge a guitar by what year it was made..  But each one on its own merits regardless of year.

The best thing to do is always to just go and play as many as you can.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    Rabs said:

I don't think you can judge a guitar by what year it was made..  But each one on its own merits regardless of year.

The best thing to do is always to just go an play as many as you can.

+1

Apart from 2015... they’re so radically different from any other year that you either specifically want one or wouldn't touch one at any price.

But apart from that the ‘year’ thing is beginning to really drive me bonkers. It seems to be all many buyers care about, with any gear.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3870
    edited September 2018
    My local shop has a well looked after LP Custom from 1982, in a rather fetching Cherry Sunburst that you don't seem to see much on Customs these days...

https://www.facebook.com/995023967190730/posts/2215247261835055/

Piqued my interest as I've always quite fancied owning a guitar from the year I was born, but have no idea if the early 80s was a good period for Gibson (or any other manufacturers tbh). 

Have thought about saving up and buying something like that as a 40th birthday present to myself in a few year's time, but don't really want to blow a huge wad of savings on something for sentimental reasons, that isn't actually that good! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    70's Strats? I always thought they were not as good as other years?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Rabs said:

The best thing to do is always to just go an play as many as you can.

+1

Apart from 2015... they’re so radically different from any other year that you either specifically want one or wouldn't touch one at any price.

But apart from that the ‘year’ thing is beginning to really drive me bonkers. It seems to be all many buyers care about, with any gear.

Haha, yes of course...  I think I have some kind of mental block with the 2015s ..  HOWEVER, if you actually like fat runway necks a 2015 could be a great deal...  And some people do like them...

The thing is that good and bad guitars means nothing as we each have different geometry and taste.. Whats good for one could be bad for another.. Let alone the fact that you could sit and try say ten Les Pauls in a row, each one the same model, made by the same people and each one will be just slightly different to the other...  So theres no way you can put good and bad down to a year (apart from 2015 ;) )   Even the Norlin era made some good ones. Not many, but some  :D

tFB Trader
    Actually there is one year I would like which is a 2014 with the 120th Anniversary inlay..  But it has nothing to do with build quality :)  I just thought they looked cool.
  • I do believe that next years model will probably be the most historically accurate (again)....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    My R8 is 2014 and, for some reason they dropped the fret nibs that year.
    Have to say I much prefer it "nibless" although I imagine the purists were up in arms
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I do believe that next years model will probably be the most historically accurate (again)....
    ... and probably the most lambasted (again).
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    The best years are generally considered to be 1958-60.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Brize said:
    The most desirable, not necessarily the best 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

robgilmo said:
    70's Strats? I always thought they were not as good as other years?
    Just different, big headstock 3 bolt neck.  Malmsteen and Blackmore seem to mange to get them to work
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    John_A said:
    Brize said:
    It was a flippant comment but, in any event, do you think there's a year or range of years where Gibson generally produced better Les Pauls than those three years?
    Brize said:
    John_A said:
    Brize said:
    It was a flippant comment but, in any event, do you think there's a year or range of years where Gibson generally produced better Les Pauls than those three years?
    My comment was a bit flippant too ;). Based on my considerable experience (never actually played a 58-60 Les Paul). I would have a clue :)
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    View each guitar on its own merit. Year doesn't matter. I played loads of Les Paul's till I found mine.2003 as it happens.But just a good guitar. Not necessarily anything to do with the year:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    A lot of purists will avoid 2012 due to the two-piece laminated rosewood boards...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited September 2018
    2017 CS models are the best, surely everyone knows that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2018
    sawyer said:
    View each guitar on its own merit. Year doesn't matter. I played loads of Les Paul's till I found mine.2003 as it happens.But just a good guitar. Not necessarily anything to do with the year:)
    2002/2003 are renowned for being "good" years. They retooled their production lines and there was tremendous enthusiasm among the workers regarding a perceived return to greatness, or was that in the late 80's?  They've had a few eras like that which got people excited. There is a discussion on one of the big Les Paul forums, where ex-employees shared their memories. The early years post-Norlin were also a time of change.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14369
    tFB Trader
    Les Paul's - Best Year  ??????

Let me know if you ever find out the answer

Good and bad examples in most years - Granted certain era's are not held in the same esteem as others but still good examples within those era's
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4883
    edited September 2018
    My 99 Standard is lovely, but I've played others from different years that are equally as nice. I think some years there was more consistency, however there's good uns from all years I would think. Even Norlins!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.