Is Harley Benton the new Marlin?

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
edited September 2018 in Guitar
Some recent discussion of Marlin here. The best selling guitar in the late 80s and an entry level instrument.

Fast forward 30 years and harley benton in thomanns top 5 guitars for sales in 2017 and also an entry level instrument.

So is harley benton the new marlin?
And how far have entry level guitars come in 30 years?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Does anyone else suspect that websites lie when you sort by most popular and they actually change the order of the list based on what they want to sell at that time rather than genuinely by units sold and nothing else?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    Yes. 

This was on their youtube vid though.
    NelsonP said:
    Yes. 

It's just been on my mind for a while and your post reminded me of it.

Not familiar with Marlin sorry but I do think Harley Benton seem fairly popular, their prices are pretty crazy low.

They also seem to be the only brand that sell one of the old style single coil Precision basses below the Custom Shop level. I just find it too hard to believe they could be good quality at that price so am scared off but I may well be the fool on that one.
  • Harley Benton guitars are very good value for money and usually come with a reasonable set up. But although they make a great starter guitar it should be remembered that they are copying famous makes and are not and never will be the real thing. In terms of build quality and playability they are way better than those old Marlin instruments which is a good thing for players on a budget.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But although they make a great starter guitar it should be remembered that they are copying famous makes and are not and never will be the real thing.
    Could say the same for Suhr etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    thegummy said:
    But although they make a great starter guitar it should be remembered that they are copying famous makes and are not and never will be the real thing.
    Could say the same for Suhr etc.
    Putting back the missing parts of the quoted post...
    Harley Benton guitars are very good value for money and usually come with a reasonable set up.
    In terms of build quality and playability they are way better than those old Marlin instruments which is a good thing for players on a budget.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12378
    Marlin were usually terrible with egg slicer actions as I recall, hardly Benton ate probably more comparable to Squires quality wise.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited September 2018
    thegummy said:
    NelsonP said:
    Yes. 

Not familiar with Marlin sorry but I do think Harley Benton seem fairly popular, their prices are pretty crazy low.

They also seem to be the only brand that sell one of the old style single coil Precision basses below the Custom Shop level. I just find it too hard to believe they could be good quality at that price so am scared off but I may well be the fool on that one.

The 51 P bass they do is very good for the money - there is a whole set of threads over on Basschat showing mods, upgrades and so forth and they are pretty well respected for their price
  • My only long term experience with a H-B instrument to date has been the forum bicycle baritone Mosrite-alike. (Last seen in the custody of JamesOliver1234.) The instrument was cheap but fun. It had been subjected to modifications by successive owners. It left me with two Kent Armstrong / SKY P90s. These produced sounds worthy of recording.

IMO, anybody buying a H-B brand new should budget for a professional set-up. Frets and the nut are likely to require fettling. In the longer term, if the instrument is likely to be kept, a pickup(s) and controls upgrade might be worthwhile.

NelsonP said:
    how far have entry level guitars come in 30 years?
    Laminate body construction is less common than it used to be. Instead, we are offered spreads of Pacific Rim wood species. 

Some of the quirky pickup designs that used to horrify us are now hailed as things of wonder.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • How far have entry level guitars come in 30 years? 

A LONG way.
     My first guitar 30years ago was an Encore Strat clone- it cost just under £100. It wouldn't hold tune, sounded REALLY muddy and had horrible fret buzz. I suppose with work from someone more qualified than I was it COULD have been made playable, but this was pre youtube "how to" videos & my only source of info was Guitarist magazine. 

Since then I've had a variety of guitars... I even bought a HB for a modding challenge a few years ago. Like the Encore the TE52 cost me less than £100 & what arrived was a perfectly playable telecaster- 
    Solid wood body (albeit under a THICK layer of poly), Wilkinson hardware & a reasonable setup. 

I played it as it was for a week or two at jams etc & it was perfectly serviceable. 
    I subsequently modified the heck out of it, but the sanded neck and refinished body remain as the only bits I didn't replace. 
    I play the HB more than any of my guitars. I might have just been lucky, but I got my favourite guitar for under £200 (if you include the mods). 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I have often thought of getting the Fiesta Red HB Strat as a cheapy mod project - I just have no idea if I can replace everything with all Fender Parts, which is what I’d probably want to do. 
  • Er, would it not be simpler to purchase the Fender parts, all pre-assembled, by Fender? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Er, would it not be simpler to purchase the Fender parts, all pre-assembled, by Fender? ;)
    Nah. I have a Custom Shop Strat so it’s not a financial thing, more that I wanna get something cheap and mod it for the learning experience - I only have basic set up knowledge and have never changed pickups/bridges on anything and I’d like to know how
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265

I started playing in 1984. I had quite a few cheap copies and am pretty confident in saying that HB are generally better than what I started playing on. Here's a few blasts from the past, that were mostly totally crap

Columbus

Marlin

Hondo

Kay

Encore

All pretty bad, woeful action, absent sustain. Not good.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10556
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    NelsonP said:
    Yes. 

I have the  HB Jazz Bass version ... and aside from crap strings ... and pickups that were easily improved upon it's a cracking bass. It was well under £100 when I bought it ... nice wood, okay action (very good when properly set up) and a nice finish.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• My bass player has a HB jazz bass copy and it sounds great. I'm not a bass player myself but it felt pretty good when I had a blast on it... damn heavy though! 
    tFB Trader
    My bass player has a HB jazz bass copy and it sounds great. I'm not a bass player myself but it felt pretty good when I had a blast on it... damn heavy though! 
    They do an alder and an ash one ... mine is alder and not too bad ... I played an ash one and it was a bit of a boat anchor. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

My bass player has a HB jazz bass copy and it sounds great. I'm not a bass player myself but it felt pretty good when I had a blast on it... damn heavy though! 
    They do an alder and an ash one ... mine is alder and not too bad ... I played an ash one and it was a bit of a boat anchor. 
    I have a relatively cheap Korean jazz bass and the only real down side is that it is very heavy.

I wonder if that's a general trend for well made cheap instruments that they can be heavy?
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    I have a relatively cheap Korean jazz bass and the only real down side is that it is very heavy.

I wonder if that's a general trend for well made cheap instruments that they can be heavy?
    Mine's actually no heavier than a Squier or an actual Jazz bass

• thegummy said:

It's cheap cos they hide lead in there - it's cheaper than paying for it to be disposed of.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom