Jazzmaster - making the neck dots luminous?

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
Ok, so at our rehearsal last week, the room was darker than usual & I really struggled with my Jazzmaster. 

The dots on the top of the neck are mid-brown and aren't easy to see at all. I'm a very average guitarist and still pretty dependent on being able to see these when playing.

So what's the solution? I don't want to do anything which will make it look naff or detract from its loveliness. Nor do I want to ruin it. Is using a luminous pen to highlight the dots a ridiculous idea?

May have our first gigs coming up and I know I'm not going to be able to use this guitar if it's a dark stage.

Thoughts welcomed.
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Maybe find some glow in the dark stickers of some sort and cut into little circles to cover the dots along the side of the neck ? Just shine a torch on them for a while before taking to the stage.. 

Or just find some bright white circle stickers, I'm sure they'd be easier to see than the mid brown ones. And of course the stickers are not permanent so can be removed anytime. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I thought about that but I think they'd just get knocked off by my hand sliding up the neck? Which I suppose might also happen to any luminous pen markings too...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • alexhalexh Frets: 58
    Tritium vials which are used in some watchesand  military instruments would be ideal. 
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    edited September 2018
    Luminlay markers - work great but obviously have to be installed by someone who knows what they are doing..

Charge them by subjecting to light and they work great..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Back when I was gigging I used either a dab of glow in dark nail varnish over the side dots or I stuck strips of electrical tape across the back of the neck. Both worked well for me. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    LOL - "Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the man who invented Tipp-Ex?"

Dab it over the existing side-dots.

• Or practice more so you don’t rely on your eyes being glued to your neck. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    Or practice more so you don’t rely on your eyes being glued to your neck. 
    Thanks. I'm a long way short of that standard but I'm happy for you that you're there.

Although you might want to update your profile pic as it's clearly taken from a time when you were still doing this too...?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As it's at rehearsal could you not leave the light on?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Yes. But it's not rehearsals I'm worried about.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    Take it to Salisbury?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12340
    edited September 2018
    Hattigol said:
    Thanks. I'm a long way short of that standard but I'm happy for you that you're there.

Although you might want to update your profile pic as it's clearly taken from a time when you were still doing this too...?
    Oof! That's pose #5 in the big book of edgy shapes you know.

But back to the topic - tippex all the way. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    edited September 2018
    Hattigol said:

I like that you went away and thought of the second paragraph afterwards. Shows dedication.

Dunno I guess gigging regularly in a number of bands means I care a bit more than standing still and staring at my fretboard. Guess i should tuck in my tshirt, buy an expensive Gibson and spend more time on forums than playing my guitar in order to fit in. 

But it in all seriousness play your guitar. Stand up and get used to how far away each fret is. Rehearse in a darker room more often. All the gimmicks in the world won’t beat actually practicing and getting your muscle memory working. 
    That's a lovely mix of tips, insults and condescension. Thanks ever so much.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Hattigol said:

I don't want to do anything which will make it look naff or detract from its loveliness. 

Is using a luminous pen to highlight the dots a ridiculous idea?

I refer the honourable gentleman to his first sentence.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I have Luminlay dots installed in my bass and it's very cool, I'll post a photo in a minute.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389