weirdly fretted guitar of the day

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I'd imagine that it would be rather difficult to play the upper frets!

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How would bends work lol?
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oo-er! That's very odd... and like @skunkwerx said, how would you bend a string?

I saw these a while back:

I think Steve Vai has one on one of his guitars... I'm sure they used to do different layouts though: I remember one of them had a fret that looked like the edge of a jigsaw piece, and there was a note that said guitars fitted with that fingerboard wouldn't sound in tune with normally fretted instruments

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Weird..

Let's just hope whoever is using this isn't playing in a piano/guitar duet :)
  • looks like it only extends the 3 lowest strings range. 
    I understand the principle I just wonder how good the intonation is. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I guess barre chords are out of the question.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    not played one like this but i do have plenty of experience with fanned frets.

Barre chords. - they will feel fine for the first half of the fretboard, things will start to feel odd above the 12th on all 8 strings, or above the 19th on the normal 6.   I think that's going to be fine for most things.   Obviously barre chords will be compromised if you are attempting to barre all 8 strings above the 12th.   
    in fact, if you just focus on the curve on the first 6 treble strings, its easy to see how barre chords could be easier and match finger curve better as you move up the neck

Bends - they bend just like a normal guitar.   The only issue here is down to whether you rely on muscles memory or your ears for in-tune bends.   If its the first, it will catch you out the first time you do one.  You will adjust quickly.  

Intonation - This isn't a true temperament system.   its just like changing scale length between guitars.    There are some intonation improvements from having a more appropriate string gauge matched to scale length
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Oo-er! That's very odd... and like @skunkwerx said, how would you bend a string?

Carefully.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Interesting this came up on a video I was watching, he plays them earlier in the video but starts talking about what he noticed playing 3 guitars with the True Temperament neck at the 6.15mins mark.

https://youtu.be/c8O1LoargR8
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Wouldn't like to crown and polish those frets.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom