Another 'which Marshall?' thread... (Also, which cab?)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Thought I'd have a rejig: Blues Deluxe is relegated to the naughty corner and the 20H takes (raised) prime position. I've got the tuner, delay, trem and 'verb pedals through the loop and the drive and EP Boost into the front. The Stock tone with gain on full is really improved/thickened with just the EP boost at just under half. 

Four guitars and three amps seems a bit out of kilter: I think I need another guitar...

Herewith a bit of a family shot. Played all guitars through it today. Nice. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    And here's mine.  Been too busy playing it to get any decent pics! :lol:  Sounds great.  Out of the low output, er, output (~0.3W) the amp breaks up nicely and is really reactive to dynamics and rolling off the volume control cleans it back up perfectly.  

Need to chuck something in the loop to attenuate the output for normal playing and turn it off to get a solo lift, as the way it's designed (loop return is after the phase splitter whatever that means!) means that it just distorts more, rather than boosts in volume with a normal clean boost in the loop.  Not sure I want to use a volume pedal as I'd like something to give me a consistent drop rather than having to worry about the position of the expression pedal.  I might knock up a simple pedal with a volume pot and bypass switch to give the desired effect (presumably I may need to put a treble bleed cap on the pot?) 

Anyway, I'm very happy with it.  I shall drag it along to the Quad jam if anyone is interested in having a go.  Actually I'll probably bring it anyway so I can hear it cranked. 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited September 2018
    EHX lpb1 should give you a cut as well as boost, my clone does at least. Dirt cheap brand new. Or I'm pretty sure there are volume pedals where you can set the heel/minimum volume so it doesn't have to be precariously balanced each time you use it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Great stuff, I think I had a LPB1 in my "to build" list anyway. :) It's got about 6 components in so will take longer to box it than build it! :lol: 
  • McToot said:
    McToot said:
    I followed this thread closely. What did it make me do?

It made me buy the Origin 20H that the most excellent @HHwarner had for sale in the classifieds, that's what it made me do. 

I've told my wife it was you lot wot made me do it. She's not best pleased with you all.

I suspect I'll be in the market for a boost or drive to take it up into 800 levels of tone too. That'll be on you lot as well and no mistake. 

B) 
    Interesting. Those heads look good. Be sure and let us know what you think of it. And if it can make t to a jam to hear in the flesh, so much the better. 
    Eh up feller. Not really had a chance to get to know it yet, at least not properly. It's base clean tone sounds lovely and it seems to take pedals well. There's precious little gain available until you get the power tubes properly chugging, but I'm guessing that it will sound sweet when I can actually turn the wick up. It's natural habitat is not the bedroom (front room in my case) which is where I play most. But it gives me an excuse to get to more jams and hook up with some of the Sussex/Surrey Fretboarders  for some loud fun...

Today I've been working from home trying all my guitars through it...

hows the jet city sound??
    McToot said:
    McToot said:
    I followed this thread closely. What did it make me do?

It made me buy the Origin 20H that the most excellent @HHwarner had for sale in the classifieds, that's what it made me do. 

I've told my wife it was you lot wot made me do it. She's not best pleased with you all.

I suspect I'll be in the market for a boost or drive to take it up into 800 levels of tone too. That'll be on you lot as well and no mistake. 

B) 
    Interesting. Those heads look good. Be sure and let us know what you think of it. And if it can make t to a jam to hear in the flesh, so much the better. 
    Eh up feller. Not really had a chance to get to know it yet, at least not properly. It's base clean tone sounds lovely and it seems to take pedals well. There's precious little gain available until you get the power tubes properly chugging, but I'm guessing that it will sound sweet when I can actually turn the wick up. It's natural habitat is not the bedroom (front room in my case) which is where I play most. But it gives me an excuse to get to more jams and hook up with some of the Sussex/Surrey Fretboarders  for some loud fun...

Today I've been working from home trying all my guitars through it...

hows the jet city sound??
    It's a really great piece of kit at the price point. It has very little clean headroom, though. Goes from just about clean to really quite saturated on the crunch channel and very saturated to crazy on the lead channel. I know these are very mod-able and there's a guy in the states that does kits but I haven't got around to doing that. In an ideal world, I'd like it to go from clean to mild crunch on channel A and Milld crunch to modern Br00talz on B. 

But all of that said, for 180 notes (2nd hand) it's an absolute hoot. It got a proper run out at the Huddersfield jam and acquitted itself pretty well, even with me playing it. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    McToot said:

It's a really great piece of kit at the price point. It has very little clean headroom, though. Goes from just about clean to really quite saturated on the crunch channel and very saturated to crazy on the lead channel. I know these are very mod-able and there's a guy in the states that does kits but I haven't got around to doing that. In an ideal world, I'd like it to go from clean to mild crunch on channel A and Milld crunch to modern Br00talz on B.
    Replace V1 with a 12AT7, 12AY7 or 12AU7 - in that order of decreasing gain - that will reduce gain on both channels. Doing the same for V2 will only affect the lead channel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    McToot said:

Replace V1 with a 12AT7, 12AY7 or 12AU7 - in that order of decreasing gain - that will reduce gain on both channels. Doing the same for V2 will only affect the lead channel.
    Thanks as ever IC.