Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thin v fatter neck - musings

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Having got pretty dodgy ulnar and median nerve issues a decade ago, I went on a search for necks that lessen this as much as possible.

For me, I found that anything that is closer to a very rounded C, and further from a flatter C, is best for me.

Rolled edges and tighter radius' also make a huge difference. I love a good R9 neck, but am especially comfortable with my 62 strat neck, which is much smaller overall, but still with a very rounded profile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    My view is that you can get used to pretty much any neck shape with time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1241
    After doing some measurements for an upcoming purchase, I realised neck size doesn't really bother me. I'm more concerned that the back is nice and slippy, so my hand doesn't stick while moving along the back of the neck.
  • terada said:
    Having got pretty dodgy ulnar and median nerve issues a decade ago, I went on a search for necks that lessen this as much as possible.

For me, I found that anything that is closer to a very rounded C, and further from a flatter C, is best for me.

Rolled edges and tighter radius' also make a huge difference. I love a good R9 neck, but am especially comfortable with my 62 strat neck, which is much smaller overall, but still with a very rounded profile.
    The R9 edges appear much less obviously rolled than, say, PRS, but still comfortable.

I agree that if the neck was wider it would be a bigger issue than being a little deeper, but I don't recall a width issue with any electric guitars I have tried, are any electrics significantly wider than 1 3/4" or 1 11/16"?