Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Paul McCartney's Les Pauls

What's Hot
I like this live version of the Wing's Track 'Let Me Roll It'. Good sounds on Jools Holland and nice to see Paul McCartney with a Les Paul, It's not his original 60 LP looks like a RI, anyone know why the "Les Paul" decal on the headstock is upside down? 

and again in this clip on the roof of the entrance to The Ed Sullivan Theatre, New York. He's using a painted Les Paul here:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6685
    edited September 2018
    The decal is the right way up for a left-handed guitar.
    Notice how far his fingers fly off the fingerboard and how close the session player 335 keeps his. 
  • merlin said:
    The decal is the right way up for a left-handed guitar.
    Notice how far his fingers fly off the fingerboard and how close the session player 335 keeps his. 
    But its upside down when played, it's the same orientation as a right handed guitar...but on a left handed model.

• One headstock veneer fits all. 

During construction, the only parts of the neck that are specifically left-handed are the inlays along the binding and the nut slots.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I'm not so sure about that. here's a left handed Les Paul with reversed decal and engraved truss rod cover:

http://www.buylespaulstandard.com/2001-Gibson-Left-Handed-Les-Paul-Standard-Tobacco-Burst-For-Sale_1671.html

• Left handed 50s Les Pauls were made with off the line necks, the only thing they did was they then added fret marker dots and a lefty nut.  So lefty 50s Les Pauls have dots on both sides of the necks.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm pretty sure that is his 1960 on Jools Holland, it has the dark area by the toggle switch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HushHush Frets: 21
    edited September 2018
    I thought the guitar he uses on the Jules Holland show Let me Roll it is his original 59 Les Paul, not that I'd be able to tell, I'm no expert but I know the painted one is supposed to be 59 re-issue and he has the 59 original. Although he does have a large collection of well over 50 guitars his tour gear is here on this video. 
  • Band on the Run.... see Macca can write a decent song 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Macca has got to be the most irritating Beatle, talented but fuck he gets on my tits 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Chibson
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreeze said:
    Chibson
    He's a right mug, didn't even notice the logo was wrong way up when he clicked buy it now on Ebay. Such a loser.

• I'm pretty sure that is his 1960 on Jools Holland, it has the dark area by the toggle switch.
    Yep you're right. That's why the logo is upside down as it's an original burst, my mistake.

• Fauls at it again ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreeze said:
    Chibson
    He’s not the real Paul anyway.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bearing in mind a Les Paul from 58-60 is very rare - I presume a left-handed one is extremely rare. Therefore a left-handed one owned by Paul McCartney would potentially be one of the most valuable LPs ever?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John McEnroe had an original lefty burst too iirc.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• thebreeze said:
    Chibson
    He’s not the real Paul anyway.
    Les Faul
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Bearing in mind a Les Paul from 58-60 is very rare - I presume a left-handed one is extremely rare. Therefore a left-handed one owned by Paul McCartney would potentially be one of the most valuable LPs ever?
    Yeah, I’ve only ever heard of the ones owned by McCartney and McEnroe. 

One of them had 2 at one point, and the other owned another. McEnroe sold his a few years back, but it has a split along the join of the maple cap. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Bearing in mind a Les Paul from 58-60 is very rare - I presume a left-handed one is extremely rare. Therefore a left-handed one owned by Paul McCartney would potentially be one of the most valuable LPs ever?
    I read that his '60 is one of only 2 left handers made that year. 

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Jon McEnroe has a lefty '57 Goldtop I believe, can't be many of them either!