Is there an ebay report category for wrongly describing as new?

What's Hot
This is my latest bugbear with ebay sellers - describing items as new when they’re clearly used. Like this guy, who seems to think that he can sell a guitar as new because it was made in 2018:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223145723091

Ebay actually encourage this nonsense with their “Seller refurbished” and “New, other” categories. I’m feeling particularly outraged today I suppose. Thanks for listening to my TED talk.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ask the fool for details of the warranty that he is offering with his "new" item?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Interesting - judging by the number he has for sale, he may be some sort of grey-market dealer. Or just a total scammer who doesn't have any of them, although three of them do appear to be in the same house.

He also appears to sell clothing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn’t look at his other items... interesting. Selling a 2018 Rick, which he says you can’t get because there’s an 18 month waiting list. Ha ha!

Why anybody would buy one like this when you can one for the same price from a shop, I dunno.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I sold a used whiteface rat reissue pedal a while back. Excellent condition but I’d used it thoroughly.

About a year later and slightly regretting the sale I checked out eBay and there it was, exactly the same pedal (matching serial) from the guy who bought from me, listed as new. He was selling for about £50 more than he paid me. I messaged him about it and offered him what he paid me. Very shifty reply and declined. Looks like he managed to sell it on too.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Selling a 2018 Rick, which he says you can’t get because there’s an 18 month waiting list. Ha ha!
    You can, but you would have had to order it in 2016 :).

Why anybody would buy one like this when you can one for the same price from a shop, I dunno.
    Because for at least the other three, it might not be easy to buy one from a shop - they're rare models and do indeed have long order times on them. If you want one *now*, you might well pay the same price for one of his.

In fact, if you have a bit of money to invest it might not be a bad strategy - Rickenbacker prices aren't going anywhere other than up, so if you order a handful of expensive models, wait a couple of years for them to arrive and then sell them for the *new* new price, you'll do well.

That's why my first thought was that he was a grey-market dealer.

They still aren't new though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    edited September 2018
    I have to admit that 381V69 he's got is my ultimate dream Rickenbacker - 330 shape but double-bound, R tailpiece (my initial) and with a German carve.
    I have to admit that 381V69 he's got is my ultimate dream Rickenbacker - 330 shape but double-bound, R tailpiece (my initial) and with a German carve.
    They’re very nice, I’ve got a black one :).

Nearly four grand is too much for one though, the way they’re made just doesn’t justify it compared to a 330 or 360.

• I hate eBay, I'm sure they just make the rules up as they go along: two of my listings have been cancelled - one because I described it as being in 'as new condition' - apparently that will bring my listing up when people are searching for new stuff, so they suggested I relisted it as 'mint condition'.

The other one was because I was selling an Epiphone guitar with Jackson pickups - apparently it was keyword spamming, as the title included other makes of guitar.

And don't even get me started on their fees O_o
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frownfrown Frets: 32
    I keep reporting listings for not having pictures or descriptions, as they are placeholders with no content and filling up my search results with useless item listings. There’s a couple of accounts that title offerings with ‘Guitar 1’ then add a subsequent 19 other listings incrementally with the same ‘coming soon’ crap for images and details, yet have established sale prices...