Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Acoustics - Any Good ?

What's Hot

Comments

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    I started out on an ej200 so one day I’d like a j-200 to complete my collection.  And a Gibson parlour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader

Gibson have a whole new line now too.. They do look nice

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    I had a 1968 J200 (the one in my Avatar) which was a great guitar but I decided to trade upto a 1964 Martin D28 which I don’t regret however I do miss the J200. Cant have them all I guess. Owned and played a few other Gibson acoustics including a 1954 J160e, modern J200, modern J45, the advanced Jumbo and one of the best was a Gibson Super 200 basically a J200 with cutaway and Super 400 appointments. Loved them all but have tried a couple of J200s in Guitar Guitar that didn’t sound as good, perhaps they need the time and use to need to open up
  • Here is mine. The last guitar I would part with, totally love it. Top grade Honduras Mahogany B/S, Adirondack Top, Madagascar RW Fretboard & Bridge, Full Hide Glue construction. It's such a warm sounding guitar, definitely not true about Adi always being bright, tight etc etc.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Rabs said:

They do, and I’m looking at more modern incarnations that I might not have a couple of years ago, like the slimmer bodied AG j45s with walnut etc.

That said, it is surprising how montana seem to have gone in a different direction from the “slimmed down” US range. Around 20 versions of the J45 alone! Richlite fingerboards on £3k acoustics might not prove popular but mabye were all a bit more environment aware these days.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:
    Rabs said:

They do, and I’m looking at more modern incarnations that I might not have a couple of years ago, like the slimmer bodied AG j45s with walnut etc.

That said, it is surprising how montana seem to have gone in a different direction from the “slimmed down” US range. Around 20 versions of the J45 alone! Richlite fingerboards on £3k acoustics might not prove popular but mabye were all a bit more environment aware these days.

I also think its about time Gibson stopped using Nitro...  Horrid nasty stuff that is..  Id rather a nice Oil finish any day. It just seems like another one of those things they do just based on tradition like not reinforcing the volute area.. 

As far as richlite goes....  everyone I have spoken to who has a guitar with one has no issues with it at all. If you want a jet black fretboard these days its probably the best solution or they will start dying boards black or people just have to get used to streaky ebony or some other alternative.

CMW335 said:
    I had a 1968 J200 (the one in my Avatar) which was a great guitar but I decided to trade upto a 1964 Martin D28 which I don’t regret however I do miss the J200. Cant have them all I guess. Owned and played a few other Gibson acoustics including a 1954 J160e, modern J200, modern J45, the advanced Jumbo and one of the best was a Gibson Super 200 basically a J200 with cutaway and Super 400 appointments. Loved them all but have tried a couple of J200s in Guitar Guitar that didn’t sound as good, perhaps they need the time and use to need to open up
    Yes I’ve not found a good j 200 yet but have been lucky enough to find other good acoustics
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I’ve got a J45 Rosewood and a Taylor 414 Limited and I would say whilst the Taylor is a little slinkier under the hand, the Gibson just sounds old and very well rounded, it really makes me smile and suits my voice better too. It’s getting better too and sounds sweeter than it did when I first bought it. 

Can highly recommend if tou can go and sit and sit with a few for a while. Wouldn’t buy sight unseen though as they vary quite a bit. 
  • Adamski said:
    I’ve got a J45 Rosewood and a Taylor 414 Limited and I would say whilst the Taylor is a little slinkier under the hand, the Gibson just sounds old and very well rounded, it really makes me smile and suits my voice better too. It’s getting better too and sounds sweeter than it did when I first bought it. 

Can highly recommend if tou can go and sit and sit with a few for a while. Wouldn’t buy sight unseen though as they vary quite a bit. 
    I love the looks of the Hummingbird but I may be leaning towards a J45....

With all the model types, anyone got any recommendations in the new J45 range ?

The Vintage model, whilst pricey, does sound good on the old YT vids
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    Rabs said:

I also think its about time Gibson stopped using Nitro...  Horrid nasty stuff that is..  Id rather a nice Oil finish any day.
    I'd much rather a nice thin polyurethane.

I'm not a big fan of finishes which soften and absorb dye when left in contact with things, although I've learned to live with it on the nitro-finished guitars I have.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Adamski said:

J45 vintage
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Personally I just played as many as I could get my hands on.

Ended up with a J45 Standard that sounded and felt the best to me. Tried some more expensive variants with the intention of buying in that range but they didn't resonate with me as much.
    Horses for courses.  The learning is if you find a good one, snap it up. For me there’s a higher chance of this with the vintage line and I prefer the aesthetics 
    Adamski said:

The vintage one with the Adirondack Spruce top sounds unbelievable! I had the choice of that, the J45 Rosewood Limited or a standard J45. I would have totally got the Vintage but it was about £800 over budget and at the time I couldn’t budge on that. 

Happy with my choice of the Rosewood but if I had the cash on the day I would have totally got the Vintage. It sounded so old, like it had already had 50 hrs of playing and drying out. 
    John @peachguitarsdotcom will tell you how nice that thing sounded! Don’t know if it’s still there. 
  • I did play a walnut J45 once, which was a spectacular sounding guitar. But a seriously awful brown poo-burst finish. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I have a 1966 J50 which is a great strummer n picker. Never could understand why anyone liked these 'cheaper' models in the Gibson range compared to J200s, hummingbirds, doves etc until I picked up this guitar and strummed one chord. I was instantly converted!!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10242
    I got a HP 415. I was looking at a load of Martins and some of the more expensive Hummingbirds but that one was just the best sounding of maybe all the acoustics in the shop ranging from £1000-2000. 

I actually really like the Richlite too, which may well be blasphemy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve always been a fan of Airondek (spelling ?!) tops 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    I like the J45 but I would always look around to see who is making them better than Gibson (for cheaper would be a bonus).