Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I bought these.... Really happy with them so New pickup surround day!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBM said:
    I don’t like the Modern at all, it looks like unnecessarily fussy styling for the sake of it. And reminds me of a Black & Decker Workmate...

The Classic is nice and ironically would suit a lot of modern guitars.

I also think he should do a ‘Vintage’ type which look exactly like traditional Gibson ones but fit the top of a Les Paul properly, since that’s the biggest bugbear with the original design. Sell it on quality rather than a new look.

The price does seem high for two pieces of plastic, but the set-up costs are enormous for injection moulding so I doubt he’s making a fortune.
    Agreed on all points. The Classic will look silly on a 335 or LP, but potentially quite good on anything designed after 1980.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28380
    I can imagine a guitar the Modern would look right on.

But I'd rather not. The Classic is very nice though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Love it. Great to see a homegrown product. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    DrBob said:
    I really like them. I’d put a set of the classics on my 535 except that they would make the pickguard look weird ?
    Take it off. 
    I’d rather it had never been installed in the first place. If I take it off now it will leave holes which will look s**t on the quilted maple too 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    I don’t like the Modern at all, it looks like unnecessarily fussy styling for the sake of it. And reminds me of a Black & Decker Workmate...

The Classic is nice and ironically would suit a lot of modern guitars.

I also think he should do a ‘Vintage’ type which look exactly like traditional Gibson ones but fit the top of a Les Paul properly, since that’s the biggest bugbear with the original design. Sell it on quality rather than a new look.

The price does seem high for two pieces of plastic, but the set-up costs are enormous for injection moulding so I doubt he’s making a fortune - and it’s actually less than I was expecting. As already said, PRS ones are more.

Agree with this, if they produced a proper vintage looking ring that properly fits ES and LP and incorporated the "improvements" they tout; recessed height adjustment and presenting the pickup better aligned to the strings angle I think they could have a market to tap into. As it is they seem a bit niche! 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Do the prices include the pickups?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    mbe said:
    Do the prices include the pickups?
    Yes absolutely, you get a pair of really transparent PAFS in the box. I can't find the wires to wire them in yet, but they are there I'm sure
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11597
    tFB Trader
    I rather like them, and will be keeping them in stock, or as an option on our custom builds.

Looking forward to trying them on my own guitars

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• DrBob said:
    DrBob said:
    I really like them. I’d put a set of the classics on my 535 except that they would make the pickguard look weird ?
    Take it off. 
    I’d rather it had never been installed in the first place. If I take it off now it will leave holes which will look s**t on the quilted maple too 
    It's sort of in the eye of the beholder, I think LPs without the holes look wrong, unfinished.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    I'm always a great believer in keeping your ring in proper working order.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22941

I like the Classic (somewhat reminiscent of PRS as already noted), not keen on the Modern but they might suit some, er, modern designs.

My work computer won't let me open the website, are they direct replacements for conventional rings?

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

I like the Classic (somewhat reminiscent of PRS as already noted), not keen on the Modern but they might suit some, er, modern designs.

My work computer won't let me open the website, are they direct replacements for conventional rings?

they are indeed. same screw spacing etc

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    edited September 2018
    Gassage said:
    I'm always a great believer in keeping your ring in proper working order.
    I probably need to introduce you to my mate Robbie. The amount of double-entendres he makes about his dachshund makes me think you’d get on well.....
  • I've thought for quite some time that "standard" rings looked crude when compared to the PRS ones. I'm quite tempted by these.
  • Thank you for posting. I’ve been looking for something like these for a while.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11597
    tFB Trader

Here are some of the other ones that came today

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom