Jag vs Srat Pickups

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
Can anyone describe to me the distinct characteristic differences between Jaguar and Stratocaster pickups?

I’m familiar with how they both sound in their given guitar formats. But say you were to take a set of each (3 PUP Jag set up like the old Cycllone II) and swap them out on the same guitar, so bridge, scale length, circuit and tremolo were the same.

What would be the main differences in sound?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Duppy03 said:
    differences between Jaguar and Stratocaster pickups?
    Judging by the published specs for the Seymour Duncan SJAG-1 and SSL-2 or their SJAG-3 and SSL-4, not a heck of a lot.

Physically, the output wires on a Jaguar pickup have to be at the ends of the bobbin.

Electro-magnetically, the screening "claw" on Jaguar pickups must have some influence on where the magnetic flux is directed.

Finally, there is the attenuating influence of 1Meg versus 250k pots. 

Duppy03 said:
    What would be the main difference in sound?
    The most noticeable difference in sound would be the weeping and gnashing of teeth from a guitar owner who just spent a heap of money on modifications for very little discernible "improvement".

Duppy03 said:
    distinct characteristic differences
    IMO, these come largely from the hardware.

The Jaguar scale length has a bearing, not least because it usually obliges the fitting of heavier gauge strings to maintain sensible tension.

Unless physically muted, the length of string between the bridge saddles and the tailpiece anchor contributes resonant overtones. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    From what I remember from my old jag and having played a borrowed strat a lot around then - not a huge amount in the pickups. The switching capabilities of the Jag obviously did more for variety, but I don't recall a huge difference between them.

Was a good 13-14 years ago, mind.

I had a two pickup Jag, now I think of it. 
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Great feedback, thanks.

You see, the thing is, I'm considering selling on my Classic Series 70s Strat, but I know I'll miss having that Strat tone for every now and again when I want it. So I thought why not just drop a set of Strat PUPs in my homebuilt offset guitar. But then decided that might look a bit boring... but a set of Jag PUPs could look really cool!!!

I'm being one of those schmuck guitarists that wants their guitar to look one way but sound another.

Maybe I'd be better off going with a set of Lace Sensors or similar, so I can have black covers on black guard for that Mustang kind of look?

Incase your interested, heres the guitar in question:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10894
    I love the B5 and half ashtray combo. Jag pickups would look cool in there you're right
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2531
    edited September 2018
    Nothing wrong with those p90s - plenty of bite

EDIT: I always found jag pups very (too) thin sounding for my ears
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14572
    edited September 2018
    Nothing wrong with those P90s
    Split the difference. P90 in the bridge/Treble position, two Alnico soapbar pickups for the middle and neck positions. 

The "Alnico" pickup amounts to a P90-sized coil (like a Gibson) around six rod magnets (like a Fender). At least one of the UK makers on this board offers a pickup of this type.

Failing that, three Firebird pickups. For that, I suggest that the bridge position pickup be overwound.

IMO, the proper answer to this question is not to sell the Stratocaster.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.