Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For playing at home would you buy...

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Dominic said:
    I'm lucky......my practice/studio space is a soundproofed ex-milking parlour on our farm
    Bet you don't have a Badger in sight then...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Actually we have loads of Badgers..........the herd was destroyed during the BSE crisis 20 years ago and it hasn't been a dairy farm since (hence ex-milking parlour )although we had a short spell with 4500 Goats when it was let to a tenant farmer producing cheese. Their surname was Geddy and it was known as The Geddy Goats.Badgers Welcome although we do have a feisty Dachsund called Pretzel ...(Dax were traditionally bred to that shape for going down badger warrens ) so we have to keep an eye on her.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Princeton reverb for home use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    Boss Katana 50. All you need for the home and practise and it's pretty small and unintrusive.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    So I may be on my own with this but I don’t plug my guitars in as a rule because I have a baby in the house and when she is asleep regardless of which amp I use or even the iPad at a volume where I can hear it clearly over the strings of my guitar it’s too loud.

So I play unplugged in the house. 

• I use a boss GT1 with headphones and a brunetti Singleman in 1W mode when I want to wind up the neighbors 
    This  II  and have whatever I wanted!
              \/

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • A Powerbrake for the 100W head
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Valve amp and pedals of your choice with UA OX. Expensive but the amount of time and money I’ve spent on inferior headphone/low volume solutions over the years......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
      I have a couple of valve amps , both 5w both (one ridiculously) to loud to use properly in the home .  The one can be used-  and i did for a couple of years but i always thought i wasn't using it's full potential . 
      I had bought a Crate Powerblock when they were selling them off and thought i should actually try and use it (it had sat in it's box for about 5 years unused) .  If you read reviews of the Powerblock they do seem to get slagged off , but they are a poweramp they are not meant to colour anything (unless you go through headphones) .  
       I have now been using it for about 3-4 years and on the odd occasions i have used the valve amps again ,but  i have just thought - what's the point .
        But it is not an amp to be used on it's own so i use either a Boss VF-1 or Roland  Gp100 with pedals going in to them for the drive  . The rack units are just to give it an amp flavour and also a bit of delay and reverb .
       It works for me , i really don't want to be loud at home i would just find that tiresome and i do think of the neighbours .   Pedals work really well in this set up (for me) even though there are no valves .
         The Powerblocks are not supposed to be reliable - i have had no problems so far but i guess it won't last forever so i will probably get something like a Katana 50  ,  i was also thinking the DV Mark Micro 50 but not sure how well that one would do low volume .   

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    I've just been playing my Princeton 68 custom in the lounge of my 70s semi with drive pedals. Fine for home volume. Maybe not with baby asleep of course!
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited December 2018
    Best option: used valve amp (depending on your taste + budget) + reactive loadbox (depending on your budget) + Monitor speakers or high quality headphones. 

For home use, at £200 Two Notes Captor is seriously good value for money as you can either use it as a loadbox into your PC/IR loader to listen on monitors / headphones, or if you want to play through your cab you can use it as a -20dB attenuator (or play un-attenuated).

If you need more variety of tones, a Fractal or Kemper + monitors / headphones.

If those our are out of your budget, then Scuffham S-Gear or Helix Native + monitors / headphones.

Both offer a 15 day free trial so you can compare and see if you want the extra features that make Helix cost 3x the price.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’d get a good valve combo of your favourite flavour (Marshall/Fender/Orange etc) with a decent master volume and some good drive pedals. 
      I have also tried my valve amps with an attenuator , but you do loose something , using them like that didn't seem to work for me .  It is probably something to do with a certain volume required for us to hear properly and for all the gear to work together well . 
      For the volume level i use the rack units and Powerblock have been my solution , these can kick out some volume but work fine very low .  I know it's not the best sound but it works.       I guess i am doing what home Kemper users do just with older less sophisticated gear .
      This has just reminded me ,  i used to have a Johnson Millenium 2 x 12 combo amp , i still have the cab , i use everything through that but the amp section itself packed up long ago so i chucked it .  They sounded pretty sweet but were ridiculously heavy .  I used that low also , the big problem with that though as it was completely silent , you could turn it on and if you were on the wrong patch and didn't know it  the volume could almost knock you over .   Clean Fender type sounds were great on that though but it wasn't really practicle to big and to heavy.
  • Since I found my Maine amp I just can't get enough of this cracking amp. Very versatile amp clean through to overdrive. There was a 2x8 version but yet to see one. Mine is a 2x10 version 'stage' series. I quite like the Yamaha THR C too for its compact size.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1945
    Boss Katana.

If your wife doesn't like the asthetics, buy the half stack first, she will then be fine with a Katana.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom