Strat pick ups.

What's Hot
A few years ago I built a budget Strat. The body is quality mahogany, but the rest of the guitar is mainly parts from my workshop, salvaged from other instruments I had built/modded and later stripped for parts.
The electrics are the original Squier Strat parts, from a project I modded up and past on.
I am intending passing this one on to my grandson, but want to upgrade the pick ups. I don't want to break the bank, but I am looking for a good quality sound from the guitar.
What are your recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How would you (or your grandson) like the guitar to sound?

How is the body routed beneath the scratchplate? SSS, HSS, HSH, other?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JockoJocko Frets: 24
    I just want a classic Strat tone. Body is SSS and I intend it to stay that way. I have previously fitted stacked humbuckers to a Strat but I don't want to do that this time
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader

That body looks very nice.. For about £55 I had a set of Priboras, hand wound, thought them excellent and not just 'for the money'. I'd wired the bridge to the tone pot but didn't need it. He does a few variants. If you see a red Strat on his demos that's mine.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Same experience as Billkat with Pribora pickups
    a friend bought a set and had me install them for him. Really impressed ! 
    Had a look at the site. Quite fancied the Classic Blues.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    Oil City Pickups. The best value for money there is in my opinion - top-quality British hand-made pickups at very reasonable prices.

Made by our very own TheGuitarWeasel :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Oil City Pickups. The best value for money there is in my opinion - top-quality British hand-made pickups at very reasonable prices.

Made by our very own TheGuitarWeasel :).
    Yeah much as I was very impressed with the Priboras I would say that all of my own builds have got either Oil City’s or Mojos in them 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader

I also default to Mojo, 'cept for Strats now it's Mojotone, noiseless but all the good Strat stuff is right there present & correct. Feckin' pricey though unless a rare second-hand score, just about to start a scratch build with another set. For trad I wouldn't hesitate to go Pribora again but can't see me going back to normal s/c's though.

Had a look, and both the Oil City and Mojo's are to pricey for my purse. Especially for a guitar I am passing along. I am looking at around £80 - £100 all in.
    Jocko said:
    Had a look, and both the Oil City and Mojo's are to pricey for my purse. Especially for a guitar I am passing along. I am looking at around £80 - £100 all in.
    Then deffo check out the Priboras. It was the Voodoo set that I used 
  • Ironstone are very reasonably priced pickups, I’ve used them on a number of Stratocaster copies and been very happy with the quality and tone. They sell several different sets which cover quite a range of tonal requirements from traditional to modern.
  • Toneriders? Or a secondhand set of Squier Classic Vibe pickups (OEM Toneriders with plastic covered, rather than cloth covered wires). I have a set of the Squier CV's which cost about £30 secondhand. Just make sure you know what you're buying as I've seen a set on eBay which definitely weren't from a Squier CV, regardless of what the seller stated.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I put a set of the vintage spec ones from this chap:

http://www.edispickups.com/single.html

...in my most recent strat build. Came to just over £70 posted, they are really well made, and excellent-sounding too. Arrived nicely packed, and only had to wait a week and a bit from ordering. posted from Croatia. He did me black covers with the E-dis logo in white. Just if you fancy a bit of an exotic choice anyhow. For an under £40 machine-wound option, I hear Vanson (via ebay) are good - I did have a set of those but sold them on without trying them - they looked to be decent, if not as well-made as the E-dis.

I'd thought about those ones. It was just the ordering seemed long winded, but I will keep them in mind.
    I had also looked at these: https://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_094.htm
  • Shame you missed a set of Fender Pure Vintage 59's going on here for £80 a few weeks back. Nowt much wrong with those.
  • I’m selling a set from a Classic 60s Strat in the classifieds...
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Iron Gear Pig Irons are good for the money..I prefer the overwound ones
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Iron Gear Pig Irons are good for the money..I prefer the overwound ones
    I am not ordering immediately, but I think I may go for the overwound Pig Irons.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Jocko said:
    I'd thought about those ones. It was just the ordering seemed long winded, but I will keep them in mind.
    I had also looked at these: https://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_094.htm
    No problem - lots of good choice out there for strat pickups I know. He does sometimes put an ad up on ebay, which makes the ordering simpler. Never tried axetec, but never heard anyone say anything bad about them. :)
  • I've got fender 57/62 middle and bridge pickups you can have for £35 posted.

Got the set from @Funkfingers with intention of using them in a tele but as the wires have already been cut to fit a strat neatly they weren't quite long enough so only used the neck in the end. They come with covers but no springs/tubing and screws.

I was going to stick them in classifieds but I'll wait for your reply, sounds like a great project.
    I'm well happy with how the neck sounds!