NGD: MIJ Les Paul Content

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2418
I say NGD, it's been about a month since I've had it; however, this isn't necessarily what this post is about. It's more about having some sort of epiphany.

Since the age of 16 I always wanted a Les Paul. After seeing Slash play a gold top, it was love at first sight. I had to have one. Alas, I've never had an actual Gibson Les Paul, nor have I had a gold top; but if I pull my finger out maybe one day I will. Again, this isn't what this post is about.

Over the years I've owned and played strats, teles, JJs, Gordon Smith, Carvin, Hofner, Yamaha Pacifica, and so on, never really satisfied and wanting something more. You don't need me to tell you about GAS.

During an episode of GAS I had a few years ago (Jesus, has it really been that long?), and although I was a mature student at the time, I pulled the trigger on MIJ 80s Aria Pro II Les Paul copy paid in full by student finance. I'd seen a youtube video and needed to have that sound in my life. I felt like a teenager again. It arrived, was tobacco sunburst in colour, and after changing out the pickups for some hand wound alnico IIs, it sounded and played great. It looked the part too. I loved it.

But me being me, and struggling to juggle classical and electric duties, I sold the Aria thinking I'd done the right thing. I just couldn't quite get on with the sound. Maybe a Les Paul wasn't for me after all.

After that point, I'd vowed never to have a Les Paul or single cut guitar ever again. I'd come to the conclusion that, even though I really wanted a Les Paul to work for me, they never would. Although I would have moments of regret, weirdly missing a guitar that didn't quite do it for me subsequently chastising myself for thinking such thoughts.

Fast forward to now. I work in a guitar shop and have had the privilege and luxury of playing a variety of Gibson Les Pauls, including a VOS 59, Standards, Deluxe, Supremes and Studios. In a weird twist of fate, it was the stripped back, faded brown Studio that I liked the most - "pound for pound it is the best guitar in the shop", I would tell customers. I sold a few of them. But still, this isn't what this story is about.

After trying the studio, running it through a Fender Supersonic, I was getting a vast array of sounds that I so wanted to have. Once again, I needed that sound in my life. I started to think about the Aria and wondered why I sold it. Maybe the pickups weren't right. Maybe I didn't give it chance. Oh man.

So I looked on eBay every now and then and eventually one turned up. After mulling it over, I put in an offer which was accepted. Even though I was excited, I was apprehensive too. 

And then it arrived. I plugged it, rocked out a bit, and let my colleagues have a go. The consensus was that I'd got myself a really good guitar. It was approved.

I took it home and got to know it a bit more. It has had a life. There are numerous dings and chips all over the body and neck. The bridge has corroded. The binding has aged to wonderful golden yellow. For all its flaws, I absolutely love it.

So what is this story actually about? Well, after playing it over the past few weeks, it would seem that I have found the ideal guitar for everything I do. That is, if I want to rock it will rock. If I want to play the blues, I can do that. As for jazz, it's utterly perfect. Considering that I was going to swap out the stock pickups - Japanese T-top AFIK - I'm fairly certain they're going to stay in. They're clean, warm, and produce wonderful harmonics. And that's adding to the fact that it's so playable.

In conclusion, then, I'm a born again Les Paul convert. Hallelujah!

Anyway, photos below. And if you got this far, thanks for reading. God knows I needed to tell someone!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2418

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3014
    Happy NGD. Guitars are great aren't they? Love the stories that come with them.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3602
    Happy NGD, that's lovely that is.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Doesn’t look in that bad condition, I’ve seen a lot worse. Glad you found what you were looking for and wasn’t disappointed. I wouldn’t mind finding a 1964 Hofner Colorama like I owned back in the 60s but I do wonder if it would sound like I imagine.
    Thanks chaps, I'm very happy with it. 
    Doesn’t look in that bad condition, I’ve seen a lot worse. Glad you found what you were looking for and wasn’t disappointed. I wouldn’t mind finding a 1964 Hofner Colorama like I owned back in the 60s but I do wonder if it would sound like I imagine.
    There are more dings on the back, but they're really hard to photograph. Not only that, some fool has coloured them in with black marker. But like you said, there are much worse out there. 

Ah don't talk to me about Hofners. I sold an Ambassador and regretted it more or less instantly!