Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

low-gain (predominantly) instrumental guitarists?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• It won't be to everyone's taste but a few years ago I heard this in a record shop and had to buy it on the spot:

The band is called Rangda, the guitarists are Richard Bishop and Ben Chasny. The drummer is Chris Corsano. 

No idea how to describe it, other than...awesome. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd recommend Johnny A as well, though for his first 2 CD's. The last one, which he did on his own, isn't in the same class. I believe he's got another CD coming out sometime soon, so it'll be interesting to see whether this is an improvement on the last one.

The comment above about Preston Reed isn't strictly accurate. He can play both conventionally, as well as left hand over the top of the fretboard with equal facility. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    munckee said:
    axisus said:
    I'm looking for inspiration - instrumental guitar music but either pretty clean sound or not too heavy on the gain. Preferably not Jazz or fusion widdling, something with more of a song structure.

I'm thinking more your Hank Marvin's rather than Robben Fords I guess.

Any suggestions?
    Surf music- Dick Dale, The Chantays, The Bel-Airs, The Ventures.  There is an old chap on youtube called Phil McGarrick who does really nice covers of the shadows, carpenters, abba and stuff.  
    There is modern surf that isn't just recreations of old choons as well. Los Straitjackets are the obvious ones but The Bambi Molesters take a wider approach and definitely tick all the boxes in the OP. Messer Chups are quite fun although they have some vocals. Quite a few modern surf bands and surf itself is broader than people often think with Eastern European influences, for example. 

I like The Mermen, although they don't particularly have that real twangy surf sound - they're psychedelic and sometimes quite heavy.  It's definitely instrumental and melodic though.
    Listened to a couple of tracks. Psych surf; Pink Floyd meets The Ventures. Really nice stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I like Paddy McAloon's guitar playing.  Great song writer but his playing and sound are also good.  Gerry Garcia is also an interesting player and plays mostly clean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    James Wesley, previously Chris Isaacs guitarist. His solo stuff has a definite Hank Marvin vibe.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Roy Buchanan.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    proggy said:
    Roy Buchanan.
    Great invention. Horrible tone mostly.

Love this one -

• KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Causa Sui
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    How could I forget - EARTH!

go second phase rather than the first era. If you want low gain than Earth 2 will probably make you flee in terror. 

Try Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14253
    tFB Trader
    I'd recommend Johnny A as well, though for his first 2 CD's. The last one, which he did on his own, isn't in the same class. I believe he's got another CD coming out sometime soon, so it'll be interesting to see whether this is an improvement on the last one.

a tick from me as well regarding Johnny A
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    It won't be to everyone's taste but a few years ago I heard this in a record shop and had to buy it on the spot:

The band is called Rangda, the guitarists are Richard Bishop and Ben Chasny. The drummer is Chris Corsano. 

No idea how to describe it, other than...awesome. 
    I saw these guys a long time ago at one of the All Tomorrows Parties weekends - fantastic. Also saw the Flowers/Corsano duo which was more nasty synth and drums, but still worth checking out. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited October 2018
    Worth a try: Bill Nelson on the Bebop Deluxe albums. Not all "instrumental" numbers, but music strong enough to stand up without vocals. And not all wildly distorted either.

Edit. Try also Wishbone Ash (any lineup) there's loadsa good stuff in there especially the Mk II lineup with Laurie Wisefield ...

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7866
    Brian Setzer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    Brian Setzer
    wis
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself