V1 Tube Comparison

2»

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited September 2018

@ICBM

Give the second vid a listen, maybe put it down to my bad recording. There's nothing wrong with that Mullard, It's a tested NOS valve. My amp guy installed it along with the I61 in V1 when he serviced my amp.

A couple times I've posted this on FB groups i'm in, people have gone for V5 blind half the time.

FWIW, Mullards aren't actually my favourite. I prefer RFT's and Heerlen Philips/Amperex ECC83's. The Mullards are about even with the Brimars for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72580
    tekbow said:

@ICBM

Give the second vid a listen, maybe put it down to my bad recording. There's nothing wrong with that Mullard, It's a tested NOS valve. My amp guy installed it along with the I61 in V1 when he serviced my amp.

There's no way it should be muddier than every other valve there, tested NOS or not. It's noticeably duller than the other one too. You asked if one could be considered objectively 'bad', and that one is.

It's not that I'm a Mullard fan - to me they are over-hyped and no better than any of the other similar types like Brimars. I also generally like RFTs best, so it was slightly surprising that it didn't sound that great there, but it wasn't positively bad.

To be honest I'm surprised I liked the Harma, because I generally don't when I've used them, but it did jump out to me as having a much better top-end sparkle than the others on the clean sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    Oh well, bummer, Guess I will never buy any of those valves, I don't have time to faff around with NOS unless customer supplied