Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gig bags.....

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    thegummy said:
    The mono does look a nice bag but it's insanely expensive. It still doesn't look like it would protect a neck from snapping like a hard case would.
    It will unless you're talking about putting the case across two chairs and sitting on it, or something like that...

Out of interest, what is your bass? If it's anything like a Fender then the neck is probably stronger than a hard case anyway! Having seen a Jazz that came through Heathrow in its original Fender plywood case - the case was wrecked and held together with security tape, but the bass was undamaged.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    The mono does look a nice bag but it's insanely expensive. It still doesn't look like it would protect a neck from snapping like a hard case would.
    With the neck brace and Velcro pad it is effectively the same support as a hard case so would be no different.
    If you were walking through a heavy door and the headstock and neck went through first and the door closed on it, the neck wouldn't snap in that bag? It's hard to see from pics/videos how it could stop it.

A hard case would stop it because it's a rigid casing - the lining of the case wouldn't compress in and touch the guitar but with a gig bag it would which is why I can't see how it would offer protection in that scenario.
    Philly_Q said:
    PRS SE gigbags get my vote   :)
    The SE/S2 gig bags are the best I've had, although I must say I've never tried Mono.

The bag which comes with the PRS Silver Sky looks very impressive.  I don't think you can buy it separately but you can always dump the guitar and use the bag for your Strat... ;)
    I assumed the SE gig bags would have been low end. If they're seen as really good then no wonder the Gibson one gets commented on as it's quite significantly better quality than the SE ones. I'll post a photo later.
  • thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    With the neck brace and Velcro pad it is effectively the same support as a hard case so would be no different.
    If you were walking through a heavy door and the headstock and neck went through first and the door closed on it, the neck wouldn't snap in that bag? It's hard to see from pics/videos how it could stop it.

A hard case would stop it because it's a rigid casing - the lining of the case wouldn't compress in and touch the guitar but with a gig bag it would which is why I can't see how it would offer protection in that scenario.
    I can’t physically compress the bag in any way at the neck headstock joint. It’s effectively reinforced at that point by the bag lining, the reinforcement and then the dense foam. I always view mine as a soft finish solid case rather than a gig bag to be honest. 

Thing is, it protects in ways a hard case can’t- for instance, the rubber boot at the bottom protects against impacts in a way that a hard case just can’t. (Unless it’s a hiscox, but unless it’s an exact fit you would still get impact damage in a hard case like that) - It certainly does a better job than a Fender style hard case in that respect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ritter? I have one for my Epi Dot & it’s seems well padded, etc. 
    I've got 5 Ritter bags, bought over the last 20 years - 3 electric and 2 acoustic.  They've been to hundreds of jams, gigs and rehearsals, plus spent about six months away at various guitar weekends and summer schools.

There were different models based on padding thickness and how many pockets.  But saying that, when I've bought another one for the collection, I've noticed a drop in quality.  Whether it's a change from metal zip-pulls to rubber ones, or thinner material. Probably to save money.

IMHO, it would be worth looking at what the competition is, even if happy with the old one you're replacing.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    thegummy said:
    Philly_Q said:
    The SE/S2 gig bags are the best I've had, although I must say I've never tried Mono.

The bag which comes with the PRS Silver Sky looks very impressive.  I don't think you can buy it separately but you can always dump the guitar and use the bag for your Strat... ;)
    I assumed the SE gig bags would have been low end. If they're seen as really good then no wonder the Gibson one gets commented on as it's quite significantly better quality than the SE ones. I'll post a photo later.
    The only Gibson bags I've had were the older ones which were like a big folded-in-half triangle with fur lining and a zip all the way down the side.  If you opened the zip all the way the guitar would just fall out.  

The PRS ones aren't very heavily padded or reinforced at the ends, I'm sure they're nowhere near the Mono or Reunion Blues league, but they're well made and quite stiff - they don't collapse in a heap when they're empty.
  • I've got a load in the cupboard, they were mostly free.

They're fine.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited September 2018
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

In that scenario I’d have the case on my back using the straps so I could manhandle the door open, if it had guitar-snapping close-pressure. In fact in 99% of threshold crossings I’d have the gigback on my back. The Monos don’t stick up too high so you don’t even have to duck much...
  • If a closing door could snap a guitar neck in a Mono bag, I'd be far more concerned about my limbs getting in the way and would be finding an alternate entry or exit to said building....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If a closing door could snap a guitar neck in a Mono bag, I'd be far more concerned about my limbs getting in the way and would be finding an alternate entry or exit to said building....
    What if this guy from Goldfinger had one in his trunk?

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What if this guy from Goldfinger had one in his trunk?

you wouldn't fit a mono bass bag in the trunk of that.
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

I can’t physically compress the bag in any way at the neck headstock joint. It’s effectively reinforced at that point by the bag lining, the reinforcement and then the dense foam. I always view mine as a soft finish solid case rather than a gig bag to be honest. 

Thing is, it protects in ways a hard case can’t- for instance, the rubber boot at the bottom protects against impacts in a way that a hard case just can’t. (Unless it’s a hiscox, but unless it’s an exact fit you would still get impact damage in a hard case like that) - It certainly does a better job than a Fender style hard case in that respect. 
    That actually sounds good. Do guitar shops have these in stock to feel generally?

The price is a bit much but if I could get the protection of the hard case without the hassle it might be worth it.

Re: the limbs thing, there's a chance the thing could never happen again, it's just a normal heavy door. But it's on my mind because it nearly happened before.
    Philly_Q said:
    thegummy said:
    Philly_Q said:

The only Gibson bags I've had were the older ones which were like a big folded-in-half triangle with fur lining and a zip all the way down the side.  If you opened the zip all the way the guitar would just fall out.  

The PRS ones aren't very heavily padded or reinforced at the ends, I'm sure they're nowhere near the Mono or Reunion Blues league, but they're well made and quite stiff - they don't collapse in a heap when they're empty.
    I'll need to put up a pic when I get home, it really is a very nice looking bag. Not sure it has the technology of the mono but it defo looks the part.
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    The mono does look a nice bag but it's insanely expensive. It still doesn't look like it owould protect a neck from snapping like a hard case would.

That actually sounds good. Do guitar shops have these in stock to feel generally?

The price is a bit much but if I could get the protection of the hard case without the hassle it might be worth it.

• @thegummy - they do get stocked in shops from time to time. I got mine from Bass Direct and they were on display there. 

I only bought after going and having a feel (ooer). It does seem to me that with a bass in the bag it gains an additional rigidity - almost like it uses the strength inherent in it to strengthen the bag. Similarly they have made a big effort to protect both the neck/headstock joint and the bottom with the boot.

You can tell it’s a lot of protection because it’s a lot bloody bigger than a hard case!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a suhr gigbag used(guy bought a suhr standard and a hardcase at the same time as the suhr came with the bag and never used the suhr bag) for £50...not 1 issue with the protection levels. Never used a mono, wouldn't pay £150 for a gig bag though...
    Here's a couple of pics of the Gibson gig bag: