PRS Bernie Marsden electronics upgrade help.

What's Hot
GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
edited September 2018 in Guitar
I’ve a stunner of a PRS Bernie Marsden that I just love. 
I’ve done most upgrades already, but have left the electronics until last (mainly because it’s a dark art, and well out of my comfort zone!)

Anyway, I’m going with some BK ‘Mules’ and I thought I might as well change the pots and cap(s?) whilst I’m at it.

When the guitar had a set up, I had the toggle switch and input jack changed to Switch Craft.

For the pots, am I right in saying I need three 500k short shaft pots? CTS, or....?

When it comes to the caps...the layout is two volumes, and one tone...does that mean I’ll need one cap?

I want to go for a vintage vibe, so I’m going for a paper in oil cap....but I have no clue about values. Any help here? 
I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I can't help you with the answers but I'd love to see a M&M thread for this project. ;)
  • fftc said:
    I can't help you with the answers but I'd love to see a M&M thread for this project. ;)

I can do that for you!
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've got those exact pickups in that exact guitar - it's a good combo!

It's CTS pots I put in. Apparently they make metric sized ones now but I used normal CTS pots and had to enlarge the holes with a reamer (very quick and easy job).

If you're re-wiring it then the current scheme of 2 volumes and 1 tone doesn't have to mean anything - you can choose which combination suits you. I personally went for 2 tones and 1 volume because I have never wanted to switch between 2 volume settings but do often switch between 2 tone settings. Also I like the practicality of having 1 knob control the entire volume of the guitar (for practical reasons rather than adjusting tone in any way). If you decide you prefer the idea of 2 tones, I can send you my wiring scheme I used if you need it.

I was also going to change the switch to Switchcraft but it was completely broke and when I had a look at it, it seemed very flimsy and not a surprise that it broke. I've been assured by people who know a lot more about it than me that this is not common of Switchcraft and that they're usually well made. I didn't want to wait for another order though so I just used the switch that came with the guitar. The thing I dislike about it though, as you'll know it is quite stiff and takes a bit of force unlike the smooth switch that comes on Gibsons where a feather touch can flick it.

Re: the "paper in oil" cap - they don't make any difference to the sound, they should be called "paper in snakeoil" lol. If you're determined to go for them then I don't think they're any worse than normal caps, just not any better so either way it will be fine. I think I used 0.022 caps in mine but I'm going to open the guitar up and hopefully can see the value so I can tell you for sure. Annoyingly can't seem to find the email receipt for the batch.
    Just opened it up and it's definitely 0.022 I'm using on the tones.

I actually confused myself at first cause I looked in and it said 0.001 and thought that couldn't right. Then I remembered I'd actually installed a treble bleed on the volume that I forgot about and it was that I was looking at lol

Here's a photo of how it looks with the Mules:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    @Godlykepower ;  They are really great guitars and well worth the mods because the guitar is so good. That's some great advice that thegummy has passed on. 

I have almost left mine stock so far. Fitted lighter coloured knobs and swapped the bridge volume pot to the front as I rarely use a neck pickup and for me it is now easier to adjust without having to delve between two knobs. There is enough wire in the cavity to be able to move the pots around.

The original switch is clunky. It works but it is a bit agricultural. I have a new Switchcraft lying around and if I do swap pickups I will change it then. I have lowered the bridge pickup to match the neck and it now has three great sounds. I quite like the standard pickups so I will hang on for now.

@thegummy ;  Those covered pickups look great! I've always liked the Mule in the bridge but I prefer a Stormy Monday in the neck as I like a bit less grunt there. I see you have also replaced the knobs! The originals are a bit drab aren't they?! 
    The guitar looks great and the pickups have lifted it in to another league. Enjoy!
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Like that. Very vintage look to it. 
  • GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
    edited September 2018
    Here’s mine with the mods so far: http://imgur.com/dNtWSCj

http://imgur.com/Kf8YlC3

Hadn’t really thought about moving the knobs around, and it’s something to consider.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Very nice! Great gear mate. 

They do look great with covered pickups though.......I'm resisting..... but wilting!
    TA22GT said:
    @Godlykepower ;  They are really great guitars and well worth the mods because the guitar is so good. That's some great advice that thegummy has passed on. 

I have almost left mine stock so far. Fitted lighter coloured knobs and swapped the bridge volume pot to the front as I rarely use a neck pickup and for me it is now easier to adjust without having to delve between two knobs. There is enough wire in the cavity to be able to move the pots around.

The original switch is clunky. It works but it is a bit agricultural. I have a new Switchcraft lying around and if I do swap pickups I will change it then. I have lowered the bridge pickup to match the neck and it now has three great sounds. I quite like the standard pickups so I will hang on for now.

@thegummy ;  Those covered pickups look great! I've always liked the Mule in the bridge but I prefer a Stormy Monday in the neck as I like a bit less grunt there. I see you have also replaced the knobs! The originals are a bit drab aren't they?! 
    The guitar looks great and the pickups have lifted it in to another league. Enjoy!
    Cheers man. Totally forgot I replaced the knobs, funny how we forget things (or maybe just me).
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2426
    Saw a Bernie-with-Mules party and had to join in!

I was planning on getting proper PRS lampshade knobs but they're bloody expensive, so I just got top hats for my Les Paul and took the gold ones from that; hated the amber knobs the Bernie came with.

Other mods - push-pull CTS pots, Mannmade 2300 bridge, locking Klusons. Haven't changed the jack or switch yet because they seem to be behaving themselves, but I'll go Switchcraft if I do have any issues down the line.

https://i.imgur.com/d81DWxx.jpg
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow awarded!
    What a stunning finish mate. That guitar looks awesome, makes mine look like a poor relative. If it weren't for the three knobs in line I would have said it was a core model. 

Bloody blown away mate. Enjoy.
    timmypix said:

I was planning on getting proper PRS lampshade knobs but they're bloody expensive, so I just got top hats for my Les Paul and took the gold ones from that; hated the amber knobs the Bernie came with.

Other mods - push-pull CTS pots, Mannmade 2300 bridge, locking Klusons. Haven't changed the jack or switch yet because they seem to be behaving themselves, but I'll go Switchcraft if I do have any issues down the line.

Looks great!

I also fancied the PRS knobs but the price was ridiculous lol

Need to start a Bernie mules-den appreciation society
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I ordered a set of Bare Knuckle ‘Mule’ pickups today - nickel cover with gold polepieces, braided 2 wire and unpotted, 3x 550k CTS pots, a pair of BKP/Jensen 0.015 and 0.022uf caps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypix said:

That’s a beaut alright. I bloody love these guitars...so much guitar, for not a great deal of money.

Lampshade knobs are ridiculous. I had to order 4 from overseas...I think I paid £70. Didn’t even get to use one of them! 

They look beautiful though, and really set the guitar off, so I really don’t mind.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2426
    Damn, I drew the line at £48 for four from Sound Affects; particularly when one knob would be sat around doing nothing anyway. I put the Gibson knobs on on a whim and it worked out!

I do think the Bernies look quite core-ish as soon as you put covered pups on them; I think it's that they've got proper binding that's visible from all angles unlike the other SEs.

Either way, absolutely adore my Bernie. I did pay a bit of a premium for Trampas Green (bought after the production run was done and they appear to be as rare as unicorn droppings) compared to the average used price, but it's still been worth the money I'd say.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have a drawer full of Gibson knobs and just chose a type and colour I liked. At those prices I'm glad I didn't have to shop around!
    I so love that Tampas Green!  The Bernie has a feel to it that I didn't find on the Std Se, just one of those things you can't define.
  • The Bernie has a feel to it that I didn't find on the Std Se, just one of those things you can't define.
    I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I will happily put my Bernie toe to toe with something costing many times the price.
    I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I will happily put my Bernie toe to toe with something costing many times the price.

I'm fortunate that I can do that everyday and I still play it the most! 

• That green bernie looks great. 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    edited September 2018
    Missed this thread till now. Good that I did see it though because I'm taking it to a tech this afternoon for some re-wiring (I am to soldering what sumo wrestlers are to ballet)... I was going to ask for CTS pots, switchcraft switch and jack (my switch is completely knackered). I wasn't sure about the cap: I have a Raygun relic'ed guitar with the PIO and 50s wiring thing going on and it's fab so was going to go for that, but I might just suggest a good quality cap as described above...

The only mod mine has are a set of SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers, which came with it when I got it from the most excellent @CountryDave . I REALLY like them. They're the first SDs that I have liked this much. I normally favour Oil City or BKP...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;)