First DIY Tele Kit complete (sort of)

What's Hot
Well it's finally done! With some help from you guys and some learning curves I've completed my first kit. I know it isn't snazzy or unique, but the neck is the smoothest thing I have in my collection.
I still want to upgrade the hardware (tuners, nut, bridge, pups) but it's set-up ready to play. I m ay sell my Fender Tele usa to help pay for the upgrades.
Mistakes were made and lessons learnt, but I'm proud. Thanks again

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• https://m.imgur.com/a/zE0iUTQ
    Shows building progress 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    That’s really pretty. Which kit did you use?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Gear4music Knoxville . I wanted a cheap option in case of serious mistakes, but there’s was nothing horrendous or that couldn’t be fixed
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    How much is routed out under the scratch plate. Is it just the neck pickup cavity, and possibly a wiring channel down to the control cavity?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Pretty much. If you click the link to the full album it shows the body beforehand. It is heavier than a fender tele and its an ash body
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thats really nice! Careful though, it gets addictive!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks great. Thinking of doing one myself. What stain / finish did you use for the neck & body ?
  • paulnb57 said:
    Thats really nice! Careful though, it gets addictive!
    I already have my next two projects planned. It’s too late for me!
    BillyK57 said:
    Looks great. Thinking of doing one myself. What stain / finish did you use for the neck & body ?
    Crimson water bass stain. Navy blue and black for the body and a diluted amber for the neck. Both had tung oil and wax applied after which made it deep and richer
  •  the other pictures were dark. This shows it in a better light
  • Well done
    A Guitar Is For Life 
    Not Just For Christmas
  • dirty_p90 said:
    Well done
    Cheers. Still want to replace the hardware. Trying to think what bridge to get I want six saddles but may have to drill through the body
  • Just ordered the same kit, so the thanks for the help - let’s hope it works out as good as yours. Another stupid question: What type of wax ? Any brand advice ?
  • Liberon black bison wax (natural colour) but I think most wood waxes will be good. Just watch out which oil you use if you're using any and leave time between oiling and waxing. I made that mistake but recovered 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Really impressed with the finish on the body. Well done.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • I think that looks superb, lovely job on the finish!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think that looks superb, lovely job on the finish!
    Cheers man. I used wez's technique for oil and wax. There are some blemishes but the neck finish is so nice I'm keeping this and selling my Fender usa tele to fund some improved hardware 
  • Thanks again for the advice. @WezV can you direct me towards your thread that covers the ‘oil & wax’ finish. For newly ordered guitar kit - not my bikini line. Thx.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    Sure

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/235/oil-finishes-little-tutorial-for-my-wet-sanded-oil-finish-technique

The thing to remember here is that experimentation pays off and oil finishes rarely feel worse for a bit of back and forth between the stages.  It’s what makes them good for this kind of thing.  Most oils can just be wiped on and feel fine like that.   This is about taking it to another level

• From experience leave time in between oil coats. And only wax after you're sure you have finished oiling.
    Also Danish or tru oil if you want quicker drying times. Tung oil is great but slow drying 
  • Again, thanks for the advice @WezV and apologies @FriskyDingo for highjacking your thread, however your kit build looks excellent and I’d like to get close to that with my first attempt at one.