Thoughts on PRS CE24?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5424
    pmbomb said:
    See my sig for one FS. I'm in Dorking if you want to try it.

AFAIK it's fully USA made, not same production line as an SE (which are Far East, no?)

Same production line as S2, not SE. 

S2 models are made in a different part of the factory to the Core models, in the US - some compromises are made in materials and construction compared to their higher-priced brethren. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Whitecat said:
    pmbomb said:
    See my sig for one FS. I'm in Dorking if you want to try it.

AFAIK it's fully USA made, not same production line as an SE (which are Far East, no?)

Same production line as S2, not SE. 

S2 models are made in a different part of the factory to the Core models, in the US - some compromises are made in materials and construction compared to their higher-priced brethren. 
    ah OK thx for clarification - not a PRS guy myself, which I didn't find out until I dropped 1700 quid on one. doh.
  • They do have US pickups - and they sound excellent; both full and tapped, making them very versatile.  Quite powerful but with a good, well balanced tone and not one I've any impetus to change.

When I bought mine I went up and down the range to choose the better PRS and this was my choice. The S2s are really just better presented SEs; in practice (not in the heart, I know) you're paying for the badging.

The CE is somewhat more "present" than the glued in core guitars and that was the big driver for me - it really stood out compared to all of the dozen or so other models I picked through.

The non US component most obvious is the oriental bridge, but it works just fine.

The woodwork and finish was flawless, similarly the frets.  The locking machine heads, five out of six were excellent, the sixth felt like it was full of sand, but is now smooth as silk, without action on my part, no idea why.

The electronics were the poorest part; the components are switchcraft and CTS, though clearly assembled by a drunken squirrel, trying to conceal it's nuts with a soldering iron.  The volume pot gave up quickly and rattled something terrible (seems increasingly common with CTS, I swapped it) and a quick tidy made everything clean and secure.

The nut slots were cut well, but so much meat was left on the body of the part, low position chords were impossible, fixed with a bit of trimming and filing (on a +£1k guitar!).

Outside of the dodgy electrics, a once over with a screwdriver was the only "change" needed as most of the fastenings were loose - it only took a day of ownership before the first fell out...  But an easy fix.

Perhaps the most desirable change is the one I can't really address.  The control layout is awful!  It's the standard PRS affair of volume where the pickup switch should be , while the selector is under where the trem arm always is - Mr Fender got it right (as did earlier PRS'!)!
  • They do have US pickups - and they sound excellent; both full and tapped, making them very versatile.  Quite powerful but with a good, well balanced tone and not one I've any impetus to change.

When I bought mine I went up and down the range to choose the better PRS and this was my choice. The S2s are really just better presented SEs; in practice (not in the heart, I know) you're paying for the badging.

The CE is somewhat more "present" than the glued in core guitars and that was the big driver for me - it really stood out compared to all of the dozen or so other models I picked through.

The non US component most obvious is the oriental bridge, but it works just fine.

The woodwork and finish was flawless, similarly the frets.  The locking machine heads, five out of six were excellent, the sixth felt like it was full of sand, but is now smooth as silk, without action on my part, no idea why.

The electronics were the poorest part; the components are switchcraft and CTS, though clearly assembled by a drunken squirrel, trying to conceal it's nuts with a soldering iron.  The volume pot gave up quickly and rattled something terrible (seems increasingly common with CTS, I swapped it) and a quick tidy made everything clean and secure.

The nut slots were cut well, but so much meat was left on the body of the part, low position chords were impossible, fixed with a bit of trimming and filing (on a +£1k guitar!).

Outside of the dodgy electrics, a once over with a screwdriver was the only "change" needed as most of the fastenings were loose - it only took a day of ownership before the first fell out...  But an easy fix.

Perhaps the most desirable change is the one I can't really address.  The control layout is awful!  It's the standard PRS affair of volume where the pickup switch should be , while the selector is under where the trem arm always is - Mr Fender got it right (as did earlier PRS'!)!
    There’s a secondhand one at Peach that I just keep coming back to.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    They do have US pickups - and they sound excellent; both full and tapped, making them very versatile.  Quite powerful but with a good, well balanced tone and not one I've any impetus to change.

There’s a secondhand one at Peach that I just keep coming back to.
    sounds like it should be yours then. if priced well you won't loose to much if you resell.

don't buy new - take it from me, depreciation is awful.
  • **cough**

My 'old' 2002 CE-24 is up for grabs in the classifieds ;)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140523/prs-ce-24-2002-whale-blue

• When I bought mine I went up and down the range to choose the better PRS and this was my choice. The S2s are really just better presented SEs; in practice (not in the heart, I know) you're paying for the badging.
    Not true about the S2, woods are the same aside from cosmetic requirements and the main construction difference is a scarf joint neck and multipiece heel. Paint is the same process as on older US PRS. Only thing in common with SEs is the Korean tuners and electronics.
  • uberscott said:
    **cough**

I’ve seen it! It’s just that the colour isn’t 100% to my taste.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • No worries :) If you want to demo an older model and close to Reading you're more than welcome to try it out. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    uberscott said:
    **cough**

I’ve seen it! It’s just that the colour isn’t 100% to my taste.
    My McCarty is that colour and in the flesh it is really rather good
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.