Marshall... do I need a JTM45!

What's Hot
brooombrooom Frets: 1175
Hi guys,

In the last couple of years I've settled on what I feel comfortable playing in terms of amplification.

I really like the low mids presence of a nice blackface amp. And have chosen to go with a relatively low powered princeton reverb type amp with 10" for that sound.

The other type of amp that generally feels like home to me are the marshall circuits. I've recently decided to keep my 1968 50w bass plexi and will be installing a master volume so I can use it a lower volumes.

Recently for no logical reason whatsoever I've been bitten by the JTM45 bug. And I've been looking at builders like Germino.

My question is I don't have a lot of experience with JTM45s, will it be a  significant difference to my 50w bass plexi?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    A TopHat Emplexador will service all your vintage Marshall needs. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Sorry man, I think it's a great amp, but definitely it's own thing. I've had the chance to try it and it feels/responds nothing like an old marshall in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72566
    brooom said:

My question is I don't have a lot of experience with JTM45s, will it be a  significant difference to my 50w bass plexi?
    No, not really - just a little softer and more compressed when pushed hard. The Bass model is changed much less from the JTM45 than the Lead model was.

You could get very nearly the same sound by fitting a large resistor in the power supply to simulate the valve rectifier sag.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The power rail filtering should also make some difference right?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72566
    brooom said:
    The power rail filtering should also make some difference right?
    Not much. The JTM45 reissues use 'modern' values anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

cool didn't know that. I think this was probably one of those impulse irrational ideas that go into my head. Likely the plexi would have a fair degree of crossover. I was hoping to have someone talk me out of spending that money.

Thanks
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2594
    tFB Trader
    Think he is looking at a non marshall alternative, so can be built to spec. Still not going to be a huge differnce if that is what you are after.

What power valves does your bass plexi run.
  • Germino jtm45 does not have a bright cap on channel one volume control, something to bear in mind, so not as bright as the marshall handwired version.

I have a Germino classic 45lv great amp, and does sound different to my 1986 bass head.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    A JTM45 was my main amp for years.  Lovely clean and takes pedals very well, but either needs an attenuator, or be wound up pretty loud to hit the sweet spot.  Can get a bit farty when you drive the front end hard.  

Lovely amp to have, but don’t cover a lot of ground without pedals